This easy Prawn Salad with rice, peas and avocado comes together in minutes! Great for lunch or as a light dinner and easy to customise.
Love shrimp? Try my Cajun Chicken and Shrimp Alfredo!
Post may contain affiliate links. For more information, check my disclosure
This simple Prawn Salad (that’s shrimp salad to you on the other side of the pond!) is on a regular rotation at our house, especially whenever we are busy. Apart from being super tasty it has the benefit of being ready in about ten minutes!
How you ask? Well by using some ready-cooked convenience items such as precooked rice and prawns. But even if you make the rice and cook the prawns from scratch it is still very quick!
A mandoline is great for slicing the radishes and onion into super-fine slivers but you can of course just use a knife to slice them.
Prawn Salad Ingredients
Here’s what you will need to make this tasty and healthy prawn salad. I have offered some options for substitutions here – take a look at the variations in the recipe notes.
- Ready cooked jumbo prawns (shrimp), fresh prawns or frozen and thawed prawns
- A pouch of ready cooked rice such as Brown Basmati and Wild Rice or a pouch of precooked quinoa, couscous or bulgur wheat. Use cauliflower rice for a Keto prawn salad!
- Peas and edamame beans – cooked from frozen in a pot or the microwave
- Ripe avocado, radishes, red onion, parsley and spring onions
- Olive oil, minced garlic, chili flakes, lime juice and zest for the dressing
HOW TO MAKE PRAWN SALAD
Full measurements and instructions can be found on the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page. Please take a look at the steps and video before attempting this recipe!
Place all the ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl and stir to combine. Add a little honey for sweetness, if you like.
Heat the rice or grains according to instructions and place in a bowl. Fluff up the rice using a fork. Cook the peas and edamame beans from frozen by placing in a suitable microwave container and heating for 2 minutes (or per pack instructions).
If you are using fresh prawns then cook with a little oil in a pan for a couple of minutes until they turn pink.
Add the cooked peas and beans to the rice bowl. Stir in the remaining ingredients and dressing and toss to combine. Serve immediately!
Prawn Salad Variations
This salad is naturally gluten free and also suitable for the Keto diet or the Slimming World plan with minor tweaks.
- Replace the rice with cauliflower rice for a Keto prawn salad.
- Leave out the avocado to lower the syns if you are on Slimming World. You can also use a spray bottle to add the oil so that you can control the amount.
- You can replace the prawns with lump crab meat if you like.
- Serve in lettuce leaves as an appetizer.
Prawn Recipes You might Enjoy
Easy Prawn Salad
For the dressing
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lime zest and juice
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ½ tsp dried chilli flakes
For the salad
- 250 g (scant 9 oz) pouch of precooked rice I used brown basmati and wild rice
- 250 g (scant 9 oz) cooked prawns or see notes
- 130 g ( 1 cup) baby peas frozen
- 130 g ( 1 cup) edamame beans frozen
- 1 avocado sliced
- 5 radishes sliced into thin rounds
- 5 spring onions sliced
- ½ red onion sliced into thin rounds
- 2 tbsp fresh flat leaf parsley finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all the ingredients for the dressing in a bowl. Add a little honey for a touch of sweetness if you like.
- Heat the rice according to pack instructions. Cook the peas and edamame beans in the microwave for 2-3 minutes or bring to a boil in water, cook until tender then drain.
- Empty the rice into a bowl and fluff up with a fork. Add all the remaining ingredients and the dressing and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper then serve!