This Parsnip, Kale and Stilton Soup is healthy, hearty and so comforting! Easy to make on the hob or in a Soup Maker and special enough for a dinner party.
You will also love my Creamy Broccoli Soup
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CHECK OUT MY DISCLOSURE
The weather in London has turned positively freezing but we have yet to glimpse any snow… My children keep asking ‘when is it going to snow?’ and I jealously keeping liking snowy landscapes on Instagram.
While we wait for the snow to come (perhaps in vain) we are staying warm and snug indoors in front of our living room fire munching on the last of the Christmas cookies.
Sensible eating has definitely been suspended during the holidays, but all the overindulgence is actually making me crave healthy food, lots of vegetables and a break from all things sweet.
I definitely need a little diet overhaul come January (I have a feeling lots of us will) and I suspect soups will feature heavily.
Using a Soup Maker
Are you familiar with the Soup Maker? This kitchen gadget may look like a kettle but it makes a mean soup in about 20 minutes.
It’s particularly useful right now while we are still lacking a proper kitchen, all you need to do is chop the vegetables, add them to the soup maker together with stock and press a button.
You have the option to create a chunky or smooth soup and there’s a blending mode if you prefer it really smooth. The machine is very easy to use and easy to clean plus it keeps soup hot for at ages.
Parsnip and Kale Soup
This parsnip and kale soup is mega healthy and incredibly tasty. Turn it into something extra special with the addition of a little Stilton and a sprinkling of dried cranberries.
Slightly less healthy perhaps, but so delicious you could serve it as a fancy dinner party starter or add it to your Christmas menu.
You could leave out the cheese and serve with a swirl of coconut milk if you want to keep it vegan or particularly virtuous. I love it both ways!
Make sure to serve it with some delicious sourdough bread.
Parsnip, Kale and Stilton soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil or use cooking spray
- 1 onion peeled and chopped
- 3 parsnips peeled and cubed
- 1 medium potato peeled and cubed
- 5 large kale leaves with tough central vein removed, chopped
- 500 ml (2 cups) vegetable stock* * only fill to maximum line on soup maker
- 4 tbsp Stilton or blue cheese crumbled
- 3 tbsp Stilton crumbled (optional)
- 2 tbsp dried cranberries finely chopped (optional)
- salt & freshly ground pepper
- Stovetop method
- Heat a little olive oil in a medium pot and gently sweat the onion for 5 minutes until soft. Add the parsnips and potato and stir together.
- Add the stock and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the chopped kale and cook for a further 10 minutes or until it is soft.
- Stir in the Stilton if using. Use an immersion blender to blend the soup until it smooth. Season to taste.
- Garnish with the crumbled cheese and dried cranberries.
Soup Maker method
- Add all the vegetables in the container (to the1.3 L mark) and then fill with stock to the maximum line indicated inside the kettle.
- Switch the machine on and select the smooth mode. The soup maker will cook the vegetables for 21 minutes.
- Switch the machine off, open the lid and add the small wedge of cheese. Switch on again and select the blend mode.
- Serve topped with a little crumbled cheese, some dried cranberries and drizzle a little olive oil. Season to taste.