Cooking Lamb Chops in the oven is easy and quick not to mention delicious! Simply marinate your lamb with my killer Greek marinade, sear and bake together with potatoes and peppers. Juicy vine cherry tomatoes are added right at the end for a burst of flavour!
You will also love my Sausage and Sweet Potato Traybake!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CHECK OUT MY DISCLOSURE
I love lamb chops – they cook super quickly and are incredibly delicious. My pan-fried lamb chops usually get an outing on dinner night 😉
But for those feeling a bit apprehensive about cooking with lamb, may I suggest you roast your lamb chops instead?
This yummy one-pan meal of Oven-Baked Lamb Chops with Potatoes and Peppers is a huge hit with my family!
Marinate lamb for extra flavour
Lamb loves all kinds of herbs and spices and marinating will add tons of yummy for little extra work. I love to marinate my chops simply in olive oil, lemon zest, dried oregano, minced garlic, salt and pepper.
Just 20 minutes is all you need – and that’s usually how long it takes to prep the vegetables and preheat the oven! Ps: If you love it a little spicy take a look at my Morrocan Grilled Lamb Recipe.
Can you cook lamb chops in the oven?
Absolutely! Sear the chops over high heat first to seal in the flavour of the marinade and get some browned crispy edges first. Cook for a couple of minutes per side or until they are nicely golden.
Thicker loin lamb chops are better suited to roasting in the oven and usually more economical than rib chops. Transfer your chops to a heavy roasting tin and cook for about 10 minutes per side. Rest your chops for about five minutes before digging in!
But you can also add the veggies to the lamb to create a one pot meal (a.k.a sheet pan dinner). Technically it’s not entirely one pot as I decided to parboil my potatoes first to ensure they cooked at the same time as the lamb.
Fresh rosemary or thyme are great partners for this recipe – add a sprig of rosemary to your roasting pan and sprinkle with fresh thyme before serving.
I also added sliced peppers and cherry tomatoes right at the end. You can play around with the vegetables to suit whatever is seasonal or your diet requirements.
Turn these oven roasted lamb chops into a great low carb / keto meal by replacing the potatoes with swede (rutabaga) or celeriac. You could also play around with courgettes (zucchini) and aubergines (eggplant) but the cooking time may need to be adjusted.
Getting the timing right
I found that my thick grass-fed Barnsley chops (from the Ethical Butcher) needed about 25 minutes in the oven but if you prefer your lamb medium rare you might need to cook it for slightly less time.
The cooking recommendations for lamb are as follows – a meat thermometer is so useful to make sure you reach the perfect internal temperature.
- 42C / 110 for rare.
- 60C /120 F or medium-rare
- 70C /145 degrees F medium to well done *this is the recommended temperature in the US
Add a green salad and you have the perfect meal – or serve with a little feta cheese to enhance the Greek flavours! A slice of sourdough bread to mop up any juices is also highly recommended!
Oven-Baked Lamb Chops with Potatoes and Peppers
For the Lamb & Marinade
- 4 thick lamb loin chops (or allow 1 per person) I used Barnsley chops
- 4 tbsp virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- Zest of one lemon (save lemon to use later)
- 1 tbsp dried oregano Greek preferably
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Olive oil to sear the chops , as needed
- Olive oil for the tin
- 12 small new potatoes (or allow 3-4 per person)
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 green bell pepper
- 3-4 bunches cherry tomatoes on the vine
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- Juice of half a lemon plus wedges to serve
- Fresh thyme to garnish
- Salt and pepper to season , if needed
Marinate the Lamb
- Mix all the ingredients for the marinade in a ceramic dish (I try to avoid using plastic bags for marinating). Add the chops and rub with the marinade to coat. Leave for 20 minutes to come to room temperature.
Sear the chops
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Sear the chops for a couple of minutes per side until slightly golden (but not cooked through). Set aside.
Prepare the vegetables
- Scrub the potatoes but keep skin on. Parboil for about 7 minutes. Drain the water and dry potatoes. Alternatively you can cook them in the microwave for a few minutes. This helps the potatoes to cook at the same time as the lamb.
Roast in Oven
- Preheat the oven to 200C (400F)/ Drizzle a roasting tin with olive oil and spread the potatoes on it.
- Add the sliced peppers and toss everything to coat in the oil. Season with salt and pepper ( a few turns of the mill).
- Nestle the chops among the vegetables. Add the rosemary and drizzle with lemon juice.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes in the oven. If you prefer your lamb on the rare side cook for 15 minutes or check with a meat thermometer.
- Take the roasting tin out of the oven and add the tomatoes. Drizzle them with a little oil.
- Cook under a hot grill (broiler) until the tomatoes burst – about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and rest for 5 minutes. Check the seasoning and serve garnished with fresh thyme with extra lemon wedges on the side.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SUPERGOLDEN BAKES ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED. IF YOU WISH TO SHARE THIS RECIPE, THEN PLEASE DO SO BY USING THE SHARE BUTTONS PROVIDED. DO NOT SCREENSHOT / POST RECIPE OR CONTENT IN FULL.