This One Pot Sausage Pasta recipe is fast, easy and delicious! You will LOVE the creamy tomato mascarpone sauce and sausage combo. A perfect weeknight dinner that is sure to become a family favourite. Slimming World friendly with minor tweaks.
Love creamy pasta dishes? Try my addicting Shrimp Alfredo!
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CHECK OUT MY DISCLOSURE
Cooking right now frequently feels like one of those cooking shows where you have to make a meal out of a handful of cupboard ingredients.
Luckily this one po sausage pasta is both unbelievably delicious AND easy to make, using just a handful of pantry staples. What’s more, my fussy kids love it – I call that a big win!
I mean, what’s not to love about a creamy tomato and mascarpone sauce spiced up by smoked Polish sausage and Cajun seasoning?
And to make things even easier, the pasta is cooked right in the sauce. Take a look at the video to see how its done!
Here’s what you will need
This recipe is pretty easy going – if you can’t find that ingredient I have specified feel free to substitute with any of the alternatives suggested below (or anything you have to hand).
- Sausage: I used Kielbasa which is a smoked Polish sausage (Polska Kielbasa Wędzona) but you can use any type of sausage, ideally something with a bit of a spicy kick like Italian sausage.
- Onion and fresh garlic or garlic paste. Chopped frozen onions and garlic can also be used.
- Cajun seasoning – sub with sweet paprika and garlic granules
- Chopped tomatoes (or crushed tomatoes) from a can
- Chicken stock (from a stock cube or stockpot)
- Your choice of dried pasta: I used rigatoni in the photos but any similar pasta shape works well such as penne or fusilli
- Mascarpone and grated Parmesan cheese. Replace the mascarpone with cream cheese or ricotta
- Fresh basil to garnish or Italian mixed dried herbs if you don’t have any fresh
How to make Sausage Pasta
Full measurements and instructions can be found on the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page.
Mist a large pot with olive oil spray and pan fry the sausage over medium-high heat for a few minutes until it starts to colour and crisp at the edges. See notes if using a different type of sausage.
Lower the heat and add the diced onion, Cajun seasoning and salt. Cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes until the onion starts to soften.
Add the minced garlic and cook for a couple of minutes.
Stir in the chopped tomatoes.
Add the hot chicken stock and bring to a rolling simmer.
Stir the pasta into the pot and lower the heat to a simmer, partially covering the pot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the rigatoni is cooked through (see notes).
Stir in full fat mascarpone cheese until it melts and is incorporated into the sauce.
Add the Parmesan cheese and stir to combine. Check the seasoning and add salt (if needed), freshly ground pepper and chilli flakes. Serve garnished with chopped fresh basil and a little extra grated Parmesan – yummy!
A note on sausages… if you are using fresh sausage you can pan fry them first until firm enough to slice and then add them in the sauce. Alternatively you can remove the sausage meat from the casings and pan fry it with the onions then proceed with the recipe.
One-pot pasta Cooking the pasta straight in the sauce takes longer than it would if you were simply boiling it. Do keep stirring it occasionally so it doesn’t stick and expect to cook it for roughly 1 1/2 times the suggested cooking time on the packet.
Slimming World Sausage Pasta Making this recipe slimming friendly is actually really easy. Use lean sausages and replace the mascarpone with light cream cheese for only a handful of syns per portion or with Primula Light cheese spread (75g can be counted as part of your daily healthy allowance on SW). Add the cheese OFF THE HEAT to avoid it splitting.
Storing and reheating Keep any leftovers in the fridge for a couple of days, reheating thoroughly before serving. Put in a saucepan and heat gently, stirring in a bit of hot water or milk if you need to thin the sauce. This recipe is not suitable for freezing.
Make it vegetarian Replace the sausages with vegetarian sausages. You might need to cook those separately and stir into the dish at the end as they don’t keep their shape as well.
One Pot Sausage Pasta
- cooking spray or olive oil to fry
- 4 Polish smoked sausages (kielbasa) sliced or spicy Italian sausages (see notes)
- 1 onion , finely diced
- 2 tsp Cajun seasoning
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 14 oz (400g) chopped tomatoes (canned chopped / crushed tomatoes) in their juice
- 14 oz (400g) dried pasta rigatoni or penne
- 4 cups (960ml) hot chicken stock from a stock cube
- 3 tbsp Mascarpone cheese or Light Cream Cheese for a slimming version
- 4 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese plus extra to serve
- 2 tbsp fresh basil , chopped
- Salt and pepper to season to taste
- ½ ts[ chilli flakes to garnish (optional)
- Mist a large pot with olive oil spray and pan fry the sausage over medium-high heat for a few minutes until it starts to colour and crisp at the edges.
- Lower the heat and add the diced onion, Cajun seasoning and salt. Cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes until the onion starts to soften.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes.
- Add the hot chicken stock and bring to a rolling simmer.
- Stir the pasta into the pot and lower the heat to a simmer, partially covering the pot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the rigatoni is cooked through (see notes).
- Stir in the mascarpone cheese until it melts and is incorporated into the sauce.
- Add the Parmesan cheese and stir to combine. Check the seasoning and add salt (if needed), freshly ground pepper and chilli flakes.
- Serve garnished with chopped fresh basil and a little extra grated Parmesan – yummy!
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SUPERGOLDEN BAKES ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED. IF YOU WISH TO SHARE THIS RECIPE, THEN PLEASE DO SO BY USING THE SHARE BUTTONS PROVIDED. DO NOT SCREENSHOT / POST RECIPE OR CONTENT IN FULL.FOLLOW ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA