New Potato Salad with Jersey Royal potatoes, spring onions, pickles and radishes in a healthy creamy dressing. Vegetarian with a vegan option, this baby potato salad is perfect for summer!
You will also love my Greek Potato Salad!
Post may contain affiliate links. For more information, check my disclosure
In Collaboration with Albert Bartlett
Who doesn’t love potato salad, am I right?! It is the perfect side dish for summer meals and barbecues and hearty enough to be served for lunch.
A lot of potato salad recipes are loaded with mayonnaise – delicious but not very slimming friendly! My healthy potato salad is packed with flavour without the heavy dressing and under 200 calories per serving.
A great vegetarian dish that can easily be made vegan or customised to include more of your favourite seasonal ingredients.
Perfect Salad Potatoes
Jersey Royals are, hands down, the perfect salad potatoes! These waxy baby spuds with their papery skin and nutty flavour, hold their shape when boiled and tossed.
Jersey Royals have been grown on the Channel Island of Jersey since 1879 and they are the only British vegetable to have a PDO certification.
Grab these little gems while you can – they are the definition of a seasonal vegetable, available between April and July.
How to Make Jersey Royals Salad
Full measurements and instructions can be found on the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page. Please take a look at the steps and video before attempting this recipe!
Rinse the Jersey Royals under the tap, gently rubbing them with your fingers. Do not peel! Add to a pot, cover with water and bring to a boil. Simmer for 15 minutes or until fork tender. Drain and leave them in the pot with the lid on for a few minutes. Transfer to a large bowl to cool.
Make your potato salad dressing
I used half fat creme fraiche, mustard, vinegar and dried dill to keep the dressing light and fresh. You can also use fat free Greek or natural yoghurt if you prefer, or Oat creme fraiche for a vegan version of this recipe!
Simply mix the dressing ingredients together in a bowl, adding a little water or brine from the pickles to loosen. Keep in the fridge until needed.
Assemble your potato salad
Chop your herbs – I used flat leaf parsley and chives but fresh dill and mint are also lovely. Add the vegetables and herbs to the bowl with your Jersey Royals and toss to combine.
Drizzle with the dressing and mix well. Have a taste and season with salt and pepper. Keep the salad chilled until ready to serve.
Potato Salad Variations
You can definitely add your own twist to this easy potato salad recipe! Swap the pickles for capers or olives, or load with more seasonal vegetables and serve it warm.
New Potato Salad with Eggs
Hard boiled eggs make for a heartier version of this salad that can be served on its own as lunch. Boil the eggs for 8-10 minutes then plunge in cold water. Peel and chop then mix in the salad. Tiny quail eggs make it even more special when I want to impress!
Russian Salad Twist (Salad Olivieh)
Add smoked ham or chicken for a nod to Russian Salad Olivieh. This delicious salad which was hugely popular in Greece when I was a child also includes cooked carrots, peas and lots of mayo.
Scandi-Style Potato Salad
For a Scandinavian style twist, add smoked salmon or pickled herring plus red onions and swap the Dijon for Wholegrain mustard. I like to smash the Jersey Royals in this version so they absorb more the flavours from the fish.
This yummy healthy potato salad is perfect for barbecues and picnics (if kept in a chilled container). Here some perfect dishes to serve with it
- Herb Marinated Lamb Chops
- Perfect BBQ Reverse Sear Steak
- Spanakopita Triangles (Spanakopitakia)
- Easy No Knead Sourdough Olive Bread
Healthy New Potato Salad
For the dressing
- 125 g (1/2 cup) half fat creme fraiche or vegan oat creme fraiche
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp dried dill or fresh dill
For the salad
- 450 g (1 pound) Jersey Royal potatoes (new baby potatoes)
- 8 spring onions , finely diced
- 200 g (7oz) radishes, finely sliced
- 3 tbsp gherkins , sliced (I used cocktail cornichons)
- 2 tbsp flat leaf parsley , chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh chives , chopped
- salt and pepper to season
- 4 hard boiled eggs , chopped
- Rinse the Jersey Royals under the tap, gently rubbing them with your fingers. Add to a pot, cover with water and bring to a boil. Simmer for 15 minutes or until fork tender. Drain and leave them in the pot with the lid on for a few minutes. Transfer to a large bowl to cool.
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine, adding a little water or brine from the pickles to loosen. Keep in the fridge until needed.
- Finely chop the spring onions and small gherkin pickles (cornichons). Use a sharp knife or a mandoline to slice the radishes into thin slivers.
- Chop your herbs – I used flat leaf parsley and chives but fresh dill and mint are also lovely. Add the vegetables and herbs to the bowl with your potatoes and toss to combine. Add the eggs, if using.
- Drizzle with the dressing and mix well. Have a taste and season with salt and pepper. Keep the salad chilled until ready to serve.