Gingerbread Cupcakes with Biscoff Frosting – these adorable gingerbread cupcakes are so easy to make, festive and delicious! Perfect for baking with the kids this Christmas.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CHECK OUT MY DISCLOSURE
Every December our house is take over by gingerbread everything. I bake batches and batches of gingerbread cookies, make my Gingerbread Layer Cake, gingerbread syrup and always dreaming up new gingerbread recipes.
You can say that a gingerbread cupcake recipe was long overdue! I love these fragrant buttery cupcakes filled with festive spices, topped with Lotus Biscoff frosting and decorated with mini gingerbread men!
Like a lot of my favourite cake recipes, these cupcakes are a doddle to whip up all in one bowl.
They taste delicious simply dusted with a little cinnamon or icing sugar so you could bake them as gingerbread muffins if you prefer.
HOW TO MAKE GINGERBREAD CUPCAKES
Full measurements and instructions can be found on the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page. Please take a look at the steps and video before attempting this recipe!
STEP 1 Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and line a 12 hole muffin tin with cupcake or muffin cases. Make sure all your ingredients are at room temperature so that they are easy to mix together.
STEP 2 Put the flour, sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, spices and zest in a large bowl. Stir together to combine.
STEP 2 Add the softened butter (or you can use Stork), eggs, milk, treacle (or dark molasses) and zest.
STEP 3 Start mixing on low speed to combine and gradually increase the speed until the batter is smooth. Scrape the bowl with a spatula as needed to make sure all the ingredients are well mixed in.
STEP 4 Divide the batter between the cupcake cases filling only 2/3 of the way. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the cupcakes are risen, fluffy and springy to the touch. Cool before frosting.
I am obsessed with all things Biscoff and this caramelly cookie spread is a perfect match for the gingerbread cupcakes. In the US you can use Trader Joe’s Speculoos cookie butter if it is easier to find.
Put all the buttercream ingredients in a mixing bowl and start mixing on low speed until combined. Increase the speed until frosting holds peaks. Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a large star tip.
DECORATING YOUR GINGERBREAD CUPCAKES
Pipe a generous swirl of frosting over the cupcakes. Decorate with mini gingerbread cookies or festive sprinkles and enjoy! A drizzle of caramel sauce also goes down a treat.
The cupcakes will taste best when fresh but they will keep for a couple of days in a covered container at room temperature. Add any decorations just before serving otherwise the moisture from the frosting will soften them.
Love Gingerbread? Try these popular recipes!
For the cupcakes
- 165 g (1 cup + 2 tbsp) flour plain / all purpose flour
- 165 g (¾ cup + 2 tbsp) light brown sugar
- ½ tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- 1 orange zest only
- 100 g (¼ cup + 3 tbsp) unsalted butter softened
- 2 tbsp treacle (molasses)
- 3 small eggs or 2 large
- 100 ml (scant ½ cup) milk
- 115 g (½ cup) unsalted butter softened
- 4 tbsp smooth Biscoff spread room temperature
- 2 tbsp treacle (molasses)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 250 g (2 cups) icing sugar powdered sugar
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) double cream heavy cream
- gingerbread cookies
- festive sprinkes
Make the cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 180C | 350F. Line a 12 muffin tin with large cupcake cases.
- Put the flour, sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, spices and orange zest in a mixing bowl (or bowl of a stand mixer). Stir together to combine.
- Add the softened butter, treacle, eggs, and milk.
- Start mixing on low speed to combine and gradually increase the speed until the batter is light and fluffy and completely smooth. Scrape bowl, as needed, to make sure everything is properly combined.
- Divide the batter between 12 large cupcake cases (or up to 16 smaller ones) and bake for 20-25 minutes until cupcakes are risen, fluffy and springy to the touch. Cool before frosting.
Make the frosting & decorate
- Put all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and sIncrease the speed until frosting holds peaks. Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a large star tip.
- Pipe a generous swirl of frosting over the cupcakes. Decorate with mini gingerbread cookies or sprinkles and enjoy!