These delicious Cinnamon Cookies are sugar and spice all things nice! So easy to make, fragrant and totally irresistible! Dust with cinnamon sugar for extra crunch.
You will also love my Gingerbread Cookies
I don’t often bake cookies – I make batches of gingerbread cookies at Christmas, but the rest of the year I mostly ignore them. I think the reason for that is that whenever I do bake cookies I end up eating way too many of them. I simply cannot resist them and so I would rather not be tempted at all…
The return of the Great British Bake Off had me craving cookies like nobody’s business however, so I decided to give in to temptation (who am I to argue with Oscar Wilde) and make a batch of my Cinnamon Cookies. These fragrant little babies are crunchy, sweet and really easy to make.
They would work well as Christmas cookies as they contain cinnamon, cloves and cardamom but they are definitely not just for the festive season. You can sandwich them with caramel or buttercream if you want to go all fancy, but I prefer to simply brush them with a little melted butter and then dust them with cinnamon sugar.
Anything dusted with cinnamon sugar has the power to reduce me to a puddle (ahem, churros) and these cookies are no exception. I am already planning my second batch in less than a week!
If sugar and spice is your cup of tea you will LOVE these recipes
- Sugar and spice cake (topped with mini doughnuts!)
- Spiced ginger and date muffins with streusel topping.
- Cinnamon honey cornmeal pancakes from Domestic Gothess
- Spreadable apple cinnamon caramel from LittleSugarSnaps
- Pumpkin loaf with streusel topping from Vikalinka.
Easy Cinnamon Cookies
- 225 g | 2 1/8 cups light brown sugar
- 130 g | 1 stick + 1 tbsp softened unsalted butter
- 1 medium egg lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp honey
- 300 g | 2 cups plain flour plus more for rolling
- 2 tbsp wheatgerm
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves
- ⅛ tsp ground cardamom
- ¼ tsp salt
- pinch baking powder
- 3 tbsp butter melted
- 5 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 170C | 340F. Line 3 trays with baking paper.
- Beat the butter and sugar together using the paddle attachment until well combined. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl midway through.
- Gradually add the beaten egg and honey and beat until well incorporated.
- Add the flour, wheatgerm, spices and salt and briefly beat together until just combined – do not overbeat or the cookies will be tough. You can use a spatula to fold everything together if you prefer.
- Tip the dough onto a lightly floured worktop and gather into a ball. Flatten to form adisk, wrap in clingflirm and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Dust your worktop and rolling pin with flour. Roll out the dough to 3mm ( 1/8in) thick and cut shapes using floured cookie cutters.
- Transfer the cookies to the trays, spacing them slightly apart.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, in batches if necessary, until cookies are just starting to colour at the edges. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Mix the sugar and cinnamon together in a little bowl. Brush the cookies with a little melted butter and sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar.