This protein-packed Chicken and Chickpea Salad tastes great hot or cold and comes together in 20 minutes.
You will also love my Thai Turkey Salad
I threw this chicken and chickpea salad together as a detox to Halloween cupcake overload.
It is very quick to prepare, healthy and, above all, very tasty. If you happen to have leftover chicken it can be assembled in under 10 minutes.
It also tastes better cold, which makes it a good candidate for packed lunch. In that case, toss the salad ingredients in the lemon juice but keep the dressing in a separate container and mix it in when are about to eat.
Chicken Salad With Tahini Dressing
For the salad
- 450 g (1 pound) cooked or raw chicken breast
- 400 g | 14oz can of chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 aubergine (eggplant), cubed
- 1 large carrot
- 1 medium courgette (zucchini)
- Handful fresh coriander (cilantro), chopped
- Handful mixed seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, sesame etc)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil and honey to drizzle (optional)
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp runny honey
- 1 tsp lemon juice (or more to taste)
- Cube the aubergine and place on a microwaveable plate. Cover with another plate and microwave for 5-6 minutes until tender. Drain any liquid.
- Use a peeler on the carrot and courgette to create long ribbons. Rinse and drain the chickpeas.
- If you are using leftover chicken, then shred or cube it. If you are using fresh chicken, then season with a bit of salt and drizzle with olive oil. Grill for 10-15 minutes until cooked through. Cool slightly before adding to the salad.
- Make the dressing by mixing all the ingredients together. If the dressing is too thick, thin it with more olive oil or a bit of warm water.
- Put the chicken, chickpeas, carrot, courgette, aubergine and chopped herbs in a large bowl. Pour the dressing over and mix thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with a scattering of mixed seeds, chopped coriander and a drizzle of honey or olive oil.