Make these carrot falafel with tahini yogurt dipping sauce to serve as a shared plate or for a vegetarian lunch. Delicious and so easy!
The insanely hot weather lasted a week in London – probably the longest week in a long time. I sat around fanning myself and swooning like a Victorian lady unable to do much other than sip gallons of iced tea. I am exaggerating of course, but only slightly!
I did drink lots of iced tea, but I also managed to create a couple of new recipes, like these delicious carrot falafel with tahini yogurt dipping sauce. They are perfect for summer as you can serve them as a shared plate or pair them with a crisp green salad for a light vegetarian lunch.
I even got it into my head to make a video for the falafel to put my newly acquired video editing knowledge to the test – I did a two day Premiere Pro course at the beginning of the month. Let’s just say I still need a lot of practice… but I have a few videos in the pipeline so hopefully both the filming and editing will become less intimidating!
As you will see from the video, the falafel only need a couple of minutes frying. It really is super easy and even easier if you are using a fryer. The only tricky bit with frying is letting the oil reach the right temperature before doing anything else.
A jam or digital thermometer is the best way to judge when the oil reaches the optimum temperature. If you have leftover falafel, this recipe does make a big batch, you can reheat them in the oven, spread out on a tray, for about 10 minutes at 180C / 350F.
Carrot falafel with tahini yogurt dipping sauce
- 400 g | 14oz chickeas from 2 tins, drained and rinsed
- 200 g | 7oz grated carrots about 2 medium
- 1 small onion roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves roughly chopped
- 1 large egg
- juice and zest of 1/2 lemon
- a few drops Tabasco
- 60 g | 2oz plain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp coriander cilantro leaves
- 300 g | 2 cups panco breadcrumbs divided
- sunflower oil to fry
For the tahini yogurt dipping sauce
- 200 g | 7oz Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander cilantro leaves
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- Put the chickpeas, carrots, onion, garlic, egg, lemon juice and zest, Tabasco, flour, salt, baking powder, cumin and coriander in a food processor and blend until the ingredients just come together.
- Transfer to a bowl and mix in 150g (1 cup) of the breadcrumbs.
- Form into balls, about 1 tablespoon of mixture each.
- Add the remaining breadcrumbs into a shallow bowl and roll the falafel in the panco to coat.
- Fill a large pot about halfway with sunflower oil and heat to 180C (350F) - best check the temperature with a digital thermometer.
- Fry the falafel, in batches, until crisp and golden about 2 minutes. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Put all the ingredients for the dipping sauce into a small bowl and stir until combined. Taste and adjust the seasoning to your taste.
- Serve the falafel with the dipping sauce on the side as a sharing plate or with a crisp green salad as a main.