Blue Cheese Burgers – simply the ultimate homemade juicy beef burger server with crispy pancetta, easy blue cheese sauce, onion chutney and homemade brioche buns.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CHECK OUT MY DISCLOSURE
I planned this recipe to be a ‘summer’s coming, BBQ weather, lets break out the sunscreen’ kind of post but as I sat down to type it the heavens opened and it started to rain torrentially, followed by hail.
Good ol’ British weather! When I first moved to the UK from sunny Greece the unpredictable weather was a shock to the system. It took me a few years to get used to the cold and the rain but now I wouldn’t have it any other way.
In any case, a good burger recipe doesn’t necessarily require sunshine – you can serve it whenever you want – almost weekly if it happens to be one your fussy children’s acceptable meals.
And I will let you into a little secret… Adding blue cheese in the burger mix adds a TON of flavour (umami goodness!) that will make you a convert even if you don’t normally like blue cheese.
The other secret to a good burger is a little bit of fat – if you use very lean mince you will likely end up with dry burgers. And of course what actually makes a good burger exceptional is the right kind of bun.
And I think I have created just the perfect light brioche burger bun – an easy to make roll that is totally irresistible.
Blue cheese burgers with crispy pancetta and onion chutney
- 500 g | 17.6oz beef mince
- 1 red onion
- 55 g | 2 oz blue cheese crumbled
- 55 g | 2 oz fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp flat-leaf parsley very finely chopped
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- couple of dashes Tabasco
- caramelised onion chutney from a jar to serve
- 6 slices pancetta
- Easy blue cheese sauce
- 150 g | 5.3oz blue cheese crumbled
- 4-5 tbsp sour cream or light mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp snipped fresh chives
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Put all the ingredients in a large bowl and thoroughly mix together with your hands. Form 6 thick burgers, cover with cling film and chill for 30 minutes.
- Heat a skillet or frying pan and cook the pancetta until crisp. Set aside.
- Place the burgers on the pan and cook over medium heat, pressing down on the burgers with a spatula. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side. Set aside while you prepare the blue cheese sauce.
- Mix all the ingredients for the sauce together in a small bowl. Add more sour cream if the sauce is too thick.
- Toast the burger buns and spread onion chutney on the bottom half. Add the burger and a pancetta slice. Spread blue cheese sauce on the top half of the bun and press down on the burger. Serve immediately.