These super-easy vegetarian Caprese puff pastry parcels are great as a quick snack or appetiser.
Puff pastry – that stuff is awesome, am I right? Especially the pre-rolled packs that can be used straight away to turn into sweet or savoury yummies. My daughter recently announced she wanted to ‘bake’ and she made little puff pastry strawberry jam tarts almost unaided.
I usually grab the puff pastry whenever I have friends coming over for dinner. You can use almost anything in your fridge to make tasty appetizers. This time I went for the classic Caprese combo of fresh mozzarella, tomatoes and basil.
As you can see from the video, these are embarrassingly easy to make. They are even easier to eat… just make sure to let them cool enough or you will burn your mouth as I did. Too eager, that’s my problem!
- 1 pack pre-rolled puff pastry
- large ball fresh mozzarella
- 2 large tomatoes
- 10 large leaves fresh basil
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3-4 tbsp grated vegetarian Parmesan to sprinkle
- Preheat your oven to 220C/425F.
- Take your puff pastry out of the fridge for 5 minutes and unroll, keeping it on the paper it was rolled in.
- Cut into squares – you will get 6-8.
- Slice the tomatoes thinly and pat dry with some kitchen paper. Do the same with the mozzarella.
- Place a slice of tomato on each square, top with a basil leaf, add a slice of mozzarella and finish with another basil leaf. Season with salt.
- Bring the two corners together to form a little parcel and wet the edge with a little egg wash to seal.
- Brush the parcel with egg wash and sprinkle with grated cheese and a little pepper.
- Bake for around 14 minutes until golden and crisp.
- Cool slightly before serving.