Easy sausage, potato and pepper traybake – a colourful and mega tasty meal that is sure to become a family favourite.
Who likes one-pot meals? Me, me, me! This easy sausage, potato and pepper traybake is probably one of the quickest to throw together and a big hit with my picky kids. We are currently in the middle of the half term holidays which means I have to entertain my two lovely children for an entire week. If I sound slightly exasperated, that’s because keeping the kids and two dogs (!) busy, happy and fed while also trying to balance my workload is not that simple.
We are currently fostering Mabel – a rescue dog from Cyrpus who needed a temporary home before moving in with her forever family. This has introduced an extra level of chaos into the house mainly because she and Brutus are constantly play-fighting and causing mayhem. But it has also made me long to adopt a second dog – I am nothing if not contrary! Anyway, all this to say that complicated meals are out of the question at the moment and this traybake needs barely five minutes prep and only 45 minutes in the oven. It smells simply incredible while it cooks and it tastes SO GOOD!
All you have to do is toss the vegetables – potatoes, sweet potatoes and peppers – with some oil, herbs and seasonings. The easiest way to do that is put them in a large ziplock or roasting bag and add the oil etc. and shake the bag to coat the vegetables. Spread everything onto a large oiled tray, add the sausages and onions in a single layer and bake for half an hour. Add some cherry tomatoes still on the vine and cook a further fifteen minutes so that they become lovely and soft and start to release their juices and then serve. Simple!
- 6 pork and herb sausages – try to get ones with 95% pork
- 2 large sweet potatoes skin on, cut into chunky wedges
- 3 medium waxy potatoes skin on, cut into chunky wedges
- 1 red bell pepper cut into thick slices
- 1 orange bell pepper cut into thick slices
- 2 red onions peeled and quartered
- 2 large garlc cloves sliced
- 2 bunches cherry tomatoes still on the vine
- 2 small lemon halved
- 2 small sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 small sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tsp smoky paprika
- 1 tsp dried thyme leaves
- pinch dried chilli flakes
- salt and pepper to season
- olive oil
- balsamic glaze or pomegranate molasses to drizzle optional
- Preheat the oven to 190C (375F). Drillze a large roasting tray with olive oil.
- Put the potatoes, sweet potatoes, peppers and garlic in a large ziplock bag. Add the spices, herbs and a generous drizzle of oilve oil. Season with salte and freshly ground pepper). Shake the bag to coat the vegetables in the oil.
- Spread the vegetables onto the tray in a single layer and nestle the sausages, onions and lemons among them.
- Roast for 30 minutes, turning the sausages around halfway into the cooking so they colour evenly.
- Add the tomatoes still on the vine. Add the chilli flakes and drizzle with a little oil. Cook for a further 15 minutes until the tomatoes are slightly wrinkly.
- Serve with a drizzle of balsamic glaze or pomegranate molasses and a green salad.