This vibrant Beetroot Curry is healthy, filling and so quick to make! A mild tasting vegan curry that’s Slimming World friendly and totally delicious. Serve with my easy two ingredient flatbreads.
Post may contain affiliate links. For more information, check my disclosure
TASTY EASY BEETROOT CURRY
Warming curries are definitely among my favourite dishes to cook and eat! If you fancy trying something a little bit different then you must make this easy beetroot curry recipe.
This gently spiced curry is delicious served over steamed rice as a main or it can round off an Indian feast as a vegetable side dish.
Take a look at some minor tweaks if you want to make a Slimming World version. There’s only one syn per portion if you make this recipe using a low calorie cooking spray and light coconut milk.
Here’s what you will need
- Coconut oil or a low calorie cooking spray such as Fry Light
- Mustard seeds
- Onions and garlic
- Curry powder (mild or medium)
- Grated ginger and finely diced chilli
- Celeriac or potatoes
- Beetroot – either fresh or ready steamed (easier and less messy)
- Vegetable stock
- Cinnamon Stick
- Coconut milk – use reduced fat (Light) coconut milk for a SW version
- Coriander (cilantro) to garnish
HOW TO MAKE BEETROOT CURRY
Full measurements and instructions can be found on the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page. Please take a look at the steps and video before attempting this recipe!
STEP 1 Heat the coconut oil in a large deep pot and pan fry the mustard seeds over high heat until they start to pop. If you are using low calorie spray take care the pot doesn’t burn – you might need to cook over lower heat.
STEP 2 Lower the heat and add the onions, ginger, chilli, garlic, curry powder, cumin and salt. Cook, stirring often, until the onions have softened.
STEP 3 Add the carrots, celeriac, beetroot, chopped tomatoes, vegetable stock and cinnamon stick. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
STEP 4 Stir in the coconut milk and simmer for further 10 minutes. Discard the cinnamon stick. Check the seasoning and add salt and pepper, to taste.
STEP 5 Serve garnished with chopped coriander on its own or over pilau rice or cauliflower rice.
HAVE YOU MADE MY BEETROOT CURRY RECIPE? Please leave a rating, post a photo on my Facebook page, share it on Instagram, or save it to Pinterest with the tag #supergoldenbakes and make my day!
Simple Beetroot Curry with Coconut
- 2 tbsp coconut oil or a low calorie cooking spray such as Fry Light
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 tsp garlic paste or two minced cloves
- 1 red chilli seeded and finely diced
- ½ tbsp grated ginger
- ½ tbsp curry powder (mild or medium)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- 2 carrots peeled and sliced
- 1 medium celeriac peeled and sliced
- 400 g steamed beetroot (not in vinegar!) cubed
- 150 g ( 1 cup) cherry tomatoes, diced
- 480 ml (2 cups) vegetable stock
- 1 cinnamon Stick
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) coconut milk or cream light coconut milk for a SW version
- 2 tbsp coriander (cilantro) to garnish
- Heat the coconut oil and pan fry the mustard seeds over high heat until they start to pop.
- Lower the heat and add the onions, ginger, chilli, garlic, curry powder and salt. Cook, stirring often, until the onions have softened.
- Add the carrots, celeriac, beetroot, chopped tomatoes, vegetable stock and cinnamon stick. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk and simmer for further 10 minutes.
- Discard the cinnamon stick. Check the seasoning and add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve garnished with chopped coriander on its own or with steamed rice or cauliflower rice.
Leave a Reply