75g | 2/3 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp salt
325g | 2 3/5 cups plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of sodaFor the frosting
240ml | 1 cup milk
3 tbsp plain flour
225g | 8 oz dark or milk chocolate buttons
200g | 7 oz unsalted butter, softened
300g | scant 2 1/2 cups icing sugar
2 tbsp cocoa powder (sifted)
- Preheat the oven to 180C (160 C Fan) | 350°F. Line two muffin tins with cupcake cases.
- Cream the butter and sugar for at least 5 minutes until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat until well incorporated. Add vanilla extract and mix.
- Shift the cocoa powder, soda, salt and flour together. Mix the vinegar with the buttermilk. Add the flour and buttermilk alternately in three stages until the batter is smooth and glossy. Do not overmix.
- Fill each cupcake case to 2/3 full. Bake for 18–20 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the cupcake centre comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting. Best eaten on day of baking.
- For the frosting, whisk the milk, flour and salt in a small pan over medium heat until the mixture thickens. Take off the heat, let it stand for 5 minutes, then add the chocolate and whisk until it is completely melted. Cool completely.
- Beat the butter, icing sugar, cocoa and vanilla together until fluffy. Add the chocolate roux and whisk together until smooth, then spoon into a piping bag with a star tip and frost the cupcakes. Keep cupcakes in the fridge if you don’t eat them all immediately.