Easy Spiced Apple Turnovers for Bonfire NightPrint Rate
- 6 medium apples like Cox or Royal Gala peeled and cubed
- 100 g | 3.5oz dried cranberries finely diced
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 teabags Taylors Spiced Apple Tea
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- small cube unsalted butter
- 2 packages ready rolled puff pastry
- 1 egg lightly beaten with 1/2 tbsp water
- a little Demerara sugar
- 75 g | 3oz icing powdered sugar to glaze (optional)
- Peel, core and cut the apples into small cubes. Place in a small pot together with the sugar, lemon juice, the contents of two teabags of Spiced Apple tea and the butter.
- Stir over low heat for 5 minutes until the apples are slightly softened. Drain and reserve any juices.
- Transfer the apple filling to a bowl to cool, add the cranberries and flour and mix together.
- Preheat the oven to 220C (430F). Line two heavy trays with baking paper.
- Lay your puff pastry on your worktop and cut out large (11cm/4.3in) circles with a pastry cutter.
- Place just under a tablespoon of filling in the centre of each pastry circle and use a brush to moisten the edges with the egg wash.
- Fold the pastry over to create a crescent and press to seal. Use a fork to crimp the edges.
- Transfer to the prepared trays, brush with the egg wash and sprinkle with a little Demerara sugar.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the pastry is golden.
- If you like, mix the icing sugar with a little of the reserved apple juices until you have a pourable glaze and drizzle over the turnovers.