This slimming friendly Smoked Salmon Frittata is low in calories, but full of flavour. Serve cold for breakfast or with a light salad for lunch.
You will also love my Crustless Quiche
Even though it has felt like I have been dieting forever, in actual fact it has only been just over two weeks. Does time slow down when you are expecting to see spectacular results instantly? Staring at the (unmoving) scales every day is not good for the soul.
But this morning I was rather startled to discover that I have lost 2.3kg in 16 days – real progress people!
I am very pleased, even more so since I have managed this largely without starving myself and without giving up on tasty food.
In fact I feel like the diet has made me more inventive with recipes and ingredients, seeking out maximum flavour as well healthiest options.
Take this slimming salmon frittata for example. It could have been loaded with lots of yummy cheese but instead it uses cottage cheese which is very low in fat.
The rest of the recipe is inspired by Greek spinach pie with a Nordic detour to include smoked salmon (the dill took me on a culinary trip).
It is really delicious hot or cold and comes in at just 200 calories per generous slice. If you aren’t concerned by calories, then a little grated Parmesan or crumbled feta would increase the yumminess factor.
But trust me when I say you don’t actually miss them. I used my Tefal Ingenio frying pan which is perfect for frittatas as the handle comes off for safe oven cooking (I love these pans so much). You can also use a cast iron skillet.
This healthy frittata is perfect for those on Slimming World as it is totally syn-free. You can store any leftovers in the fridge for up to three days to take to work for a slimming lunch.
Cottage cheese, kale and smoked salmon frittata
- 6 large eggs
- 200 g | 7oz fat-free cottage cheese
- 100 g | 7oz smoked salmon
- 70 g | 2.5oz spinach or cavolo nero stems removed, finely chopped
- 2 leeks finely chopped
- 5 spring onions (scallions) scallions finely sliced
- 1 small bunch fresh dill finely chopped (reserve some leaves to garnish)
- 2 tbsp fresh flat leaf parsley finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp onion granules optional
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- cooking spray or olive oil to cook
- Preheat the grill (broiler) to medium hot (about 180C/350F).
- Spray a 23cm (9inch) non-stick frying pan with cooking spray. Cook the leeks, spring onions and garlic over medium-low heat for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach/cavolo nero, dilll and parsley and cook for a further 5 minutes, or until softened. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Beat the eggs with 150g (5.3oz) of the cottage cheese in a large bowl. Add the onion granules and season generously with salt and pepper. Mix together.
- Clean the frying pan and mist with oil. Scatter about half of the leek/kale mixture on the pan and then add a few strips of smoked salmon.
- Spoon some of the beaten egg over the top and shake the pan so the egg covers all the ingredients.
- Start cooking the frittata over low heat and then layer the remaining vegetables and salmon over the top.
- Add the rest of the egg and top with spoonfuls of the reserved cottage cheese. Season with pepper and scatter with some dill fronds.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes or until the the frittata is almost set with a wobble in the middle.
- Transfer under the grill and cook for 6-7 minutes or until the mixture is set and golden brown.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SUPERGOLDEN BAKES ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED. IF YOU WISH TO SHARE THIS RECIPE, THEN PLEASE DO SO BY USING THE SHARE BUTTONS PROVIDED. DO NOT SCREENSHOT / POST RECIPE OR CONTENT IN FULL.FOLLOW ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA