Greek sheet pan chicken with potatoes, capers and feta cheese – cooks in 30 minutes and simply packed with flavour! Serve with a crisp green salad and some crusty bread.
Meet your new favourite one-pot dinner: Greek sheet pan chicken with potatoes and feta. You simply cannot go wrong with a one-pot meal and even if, in this case, it’s not a pot but a sheet pan. And you can never go wrong by combining chicken, potatoes and feta cheese. I mean, feta and potatoes are simple meant for each other – I used to sandwich my french fries with feta cheese as a child 😉 This is the sort of recipe for when you come home late and in no mood to cook, for when you have hungry kids crying for their ‘tea’ (i.e. supper, I will never get used to ‘tea’ being used in this context) and for when you can’t be bothered with dirty pots and pans.
In an ideal world you will have a bit of time to marinate the chicken with some olive oil, lemon juice, red wine vinegar and oregano – all you need is 20 minutes at room temperature. But if you haven’t got the time I will let you off – unless you are the type of super-organised person that can marinate things overnight. I am *so* not one of them. The secret to the quick cooking is getting the oven really hot and then heating the oil in the sheet pan so that you can sear the chicken as it goes in the oven. The potatoes will cook at the same time and the onions, capers and feta cheese are added right at the end, just for 5 minutes, so the cheese gets a little bit melty. Serve with a crisp green salad and maybe some crusty bread to mop up the pan juices and you are done!
- 4-6 chicken thighs skin on, bone in, unless you prefer otherwise
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp dried garlic granules optional
- juice of half a lemon
- salt and pepper to season
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil for the pan
- 6 floury potatoes scrubbed clean and cut into chunky wedges
- 3 large garlic cloves peeled and sliced
- 1 lemon halved
- 85 g | 3oz feta cheese crumbled
- 1 red onion sliced very thinly
- 2 tbsp mini capers
- dried oregano or finely chopped chives to garnish
- Preheat the oven to as hot as it will go.
- Put the chicken, olive oil, oregano, red wine vinegar, garlc granules and lemon juice in a bowl to marinate for 20 minutes at room temperature while the oven preheats - see notes.
- Once the oven is hot, reduce the temperature to 200C (400F) and drizzle a heavy sheet pan with olive oil. Place in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Take the pan out of the oven and use tongs to place the chicken, skin down, on the hot sheet pan to sear. Turn over to the other side.
- Scatter the potatoes and garlic around the chicken, toss to coat in the oil and season liberally with salt and pepper. Place the lemon halves among the potatoes and cook for 25 minutes.
- Take the pan out of the oven and scatter with the feta cheese, capers and sliced onion.
- Return to the oven for 5 minutes until the cheese is a little melted.
- Sprinkle with a little extra oregano or finely chopped chives before serving.
You can toss the potatoes with a little olive oil, salt, pepper and oregano in a plastic back before roasting.
FOLLOW ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA