This lightened up shrimp and bacon fettuccine Alfredo is delicious, super-easy and on the table in 15 minutes! Meet your new favourite midweek meal.
I know this blog has been quite neglected lately… A short holiday, followed by dog drama, has set me back on creating new content, engaging on social media and all other things blog. I haven’t been much in the mood to cook or do much else other than be supremely distracted. And once I get in this kind of a funk it takes a lot to snap me out of it! Hopefully a trip I have coming up this week will be a source of inspiration – keep your eyes on my Instagram stories and feed for a look behind the scenes.
While I have been relying on some convenience foods and my husband for sustenance, I did manage to cook this 15-minute shrimp and bacon fettuccine Alfredo today. It is so ridiculously quick and easy to make that it must be my number one recipe when I am hungry but in a hurry – which, let’s face it, is a lot of the time. Fettuccine Alfredo has to be on most people’s top 10 favourite foods but all that cream can make it very rich and calorific. By replacing the double cream with low fat creme fraiche, you have a lightened up dish that still tastes the business. I don’t think anyone would miss the cream – especially when there’s shrimp and bacon in there!
Did you make this recipe? Tag @supergolden88 on Instagram and hashtag it #supergoldenbakes
- 400 g | 14oz fresh fettuccine tagliatelle pasta
- 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter optional
- 150 | 5 1/2 oz lardons diced bacon
- 250 g | 9oz raw jumbo shrimp prawns
- 300 g | 10 1/2 oz low fat creme fraiche
- 2-3 tbsp grated Grana Padano or Parmesan cheese
- plus more to garnish
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- salt and freshly ground pepper to season
- Bring a pot of salted water to the boil and cook the pasta for 3 minutes until al dente. I usually cook a minute less than packet suggests as it will cook in the sauce later. Drain and set aside.
- Melt the butter in the same pot and then fry the bacon for 2 minutes until it starts to colour.
- Toss in the shrimp and cook for 2 minutes or until they turn pink.
- Stir in the creme fraiche over high heat until it comes to a simmer. Reduce heat and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the grated cheese and add the pasta. Toss to coat in the sauce and cook for a minute.
- Check the seasoning and add pepper and salt if needed (usually salt is unecesary thanks to the bacon and cheese).
- Sprinkle with the chopped parsley and add a little extra grated cheese if you like. Serve immediately.
You can use dried pasta if you prefer.