This is one of these blog posts that I just couldn't wait to get out there... A very simple and extremely easy recipe that is indescribably delicious whilst also being low-fat, low-carb and actually GOOD for you. If only all desserts could claim that...
I made this for two reasons. The first was that I had stuffed a punnet of strawberries in the freezer as they were about to go off and we couldn't eat them there and then. The second is that even on a healthy eating 'regime' – I use that term extremely loosely – I crave something sweet sometimes (=mostly all the time).
You can, of course, eat the frozen yoghurt on its own and same with the grilled pineapple but they are really magic together. I used 0% Total Greek Yoghurt but you can use full fat or 2% - entirely up to you. The frozen yoghurt can be made and eaten straight away or kept in the freezer for dessert emergencies. You can use a packet of frozen strawberries or freeze fresh strawberries (hull them first).
I think I will make this with other berries and mango too - or even bananas and chocolate. YUUUUUM!
For the frozen yoghurt
500g | 17.6oz strawberries, frozen
250g | 8.8oz Total 0% Greek Yoghurt
2-3 tbsp Splenda or icing (powdered) sugar
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp elderflower cordial
1 tbsp fresh mint, finely chopped, to decorate (optional)
Lemon zest to decorate (optional)
- Put the strawberries and yoghurt in the bowl of your food processor fitted with a metal blade. Add the cordial, lemon juice and Splenda or sugar.
- Pulse until everything is combined and the mixture is smooth. You can serve straight away or put in a plastic container in the freezer.
- If you freeze the yoghurt then microwave the container for 10-20 secs on low heat to soften slightly before serving.
- Serve sprinkled with the mint and lemon zest.
For the grilled pineapple
1 large pineapple, peeled and cored
2 tbsp lemon juice
2-3 tbsp agave nectar or honey
- Slice the pineapple and toss in the lemon and honey.
- Heat a griddle pan and wipe it with a little vegetable oil so it doesn't stick. Grill the pineapple slices for a couple of minutes on each side. Avoid moving them if you want nice griddle lines to form.
- Remove from the pan and serve while hot with the frozen yogurt on the side. Or serve cold topped with the frozen yoghurt and sprinkled with the chopped mint.
I am submitting this post to A Mummy Too’s Recipe of the Week link up