Red lentil soup with carrots and parsnips
A hearty vegan soup with red lentils, carrots and parsnips
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time35 mins
Total Time45 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 onions peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 carrots peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 large parsnips peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and crushed
- 1 apple peeled and chopped
- 150 g | 5.3oz red lentils rinsed well
- 1 x400g | 14oz can light coconut milk
- 500 ml | 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tsp mild curry powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 dashes Tabasco
- salt and pepper to season
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander cilantro
- 1 tsp olive oil
- cayenne pepper optional
Put the lentils in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil then simmer for 20 minutes. Keep and eye on the pot as it WILL boil over - you have been warned. Once cooked, rinse and set aside.
Meanwhile heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and add the spices and garlic. Stir together for a couple of minutes and then add all the vegetables and apple. Cook for a few minutes.
Add the stock and coconut milk and bring to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Transfer to a food processor and blend until smooth.
Return to the pot and stir in the lentils. Simmer for a couple of minutes and then stir in the chopped coriander. Check the seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with a sprinkling of poppy seeds and a pinch cayenne pepper.