Chocolate crêpes with Nutella and mixed berries
Chocolate crêpes with Nutella and mixed berries are perfect for an indulgent brunch or as dessert.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time6 mins
Total Time21 mins
Servings: 6 -8 crêpes
- 180 ml | 3/4 cup 6.3fl oz milk – I used coconut milk
- 2 large eggs
- 95 g | 3/4 cup 6.3oz spelt flour (or plain), sifted
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder sifted
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp rapeseed canola oil or melted butter, cooled
- rapeseed canola oil to fry (or you can use butter)
For the filling
- 200 ml | 7oz double cream whipped to soft peaks
- 5 tbsp Nutella
- 100 g | 3.5oz mixed berries thawed if frozen or more, to taste
- icing powdered sugar to dust
- handful chopped hazelnuts to sprinkle
- chocolate sauce or about 100g dark chocolate melted, to serve
Make the filling by warming the Nutella in the microwave on lowest setting for about a minute until runny but not hot. Do this in 30 second bursts.
Whip the double cream until you have soft peaks and then mix in the Nutella until the filling is smooth. Set aside.
Put the milk, eggs, sugar, salt, vanilla extract and oil (or butter) in a bowl and whisk together with a hand whisk until thoroughly combined.
Sift the flour and cocoa powder into the bowl and whisk them in. Put the crêpe batter in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Heat a little rapeseed oil in a shallow non-stick frying pan until hot. Pour some batter into the pan and swirl it around so it coats the whole bottom of the pan. Cook until bubbles form on top and the edges start to brown and curl.
Flip over and cook the other side for about a minute. Put the crêpe on a plate lined with kitchen towel. Keep any new crêpes separated by kitchen towel so they don't stick.
Repeat until you use up all the batter, adding extra oil in the pan if needed (I found that once was enough).
Spread some of the filling over each of the crêpes and add a few berries and some chopped hazelnuts if you like. Fold in half and then into quarters.
Drizzle with melted chocolate (or chocolate syrup) and dust with icing sugar. Add more berries on top if you like (and more cream!). Serve immediately.