Butter Chicken (Murgh Makhani) is unbelievably delicious and super easy to make in your slow cooker! Serve with steamed basmati rice and plenty of naan bread to mop up the rich sauce.
Love curries? Why not try my Healthy Chicken Rogan Josh
Do you have a ‘takeaway’ night? Ours tends to be on a Thursday or Friday, because even food bloggers need time away from cooking!
But our favourite Indian restaurant comes with a pretty hefty price tag, so ordering in is for special occasions only.
Luckily my favourite, Butter Chicken (Murgh Makhani), is unbelievably delicious and super easy to make at home, especially in a slow cooker.
It is quite a rich dish as the name would suggest, not too spicy and perfect for sharing as a family even with younger kids.
I can’t make any claims to authenticity so forgive me if the spices or method are not traditional – I just know it tastes really, really good. 🙂
Slow Cooker Butter Chicken Curry
- 8 large skinless chicken breasts cut into cubes
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 200 g | 7oz Greek yoghurt
- 1 tbsp finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 2 heaped tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion chopped finely
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 heaped tbsp tomato paste
- 400 g | 14oz tin chopped tomatoes
- 125 ml | 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 4 tbsp single pouring cream
- fresh coriander cilantro to garnish
- roughly chopped cashew nuts to garnish
- steamed rice to serve
- salt and pepper to season
- Cut the chicken breasts into large cubes and place in a bowl with the lemon juice, yoghurt, chilli powder, 1 tsp garam masala and grated ginger. Cover and chill for 30 mins.
- Heat 1 tbsp butter and the oil in a large non-stick pan. Fry the chicken, in batches if necessary, until browned. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Wipe the pan clean and add the remaining butter until it is foaming.
- Add the onion, garlic, sugar and a pinch of salt and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining garam masala, coriander, cumin, cinnamon and paprika and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Stir in the tomato paste, chopped tomatoes and stock and bring to a simmer.
- Transfer to the slow cooker and stir everything to combine.
- Cook on low for 5 hours.
- Stir in the cream, taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Serve with steamed basmati rice and garnish with chopped cashews and fresh coriander.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SUPERGOLDEN BAKES ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED. IF YOU WISH TO SHARE THIS RECIPE, THEN PLEASE DO SO BY USING THE SHARE BUTTONS PROVIDED. DO NOT SCREENSHOT / POST RECIPE OR CONTENT IN FULL.FOLLOW ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA