Butter Chicken (Murgh Makhani) is rich, unbelievably delicious and super easy to make in your slow cooker! Serve with pilau rice or cauliflower rice for a Keto friendly option.
Love curries? Why not try my Healthy Chicken Rogan Josh
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CHECK OUT MY DISCLOSURE
Do you have a ‘takeaway’ night? Ours tends to be on a Thursday or Friday, because even food bloggers need time away from cooking!
But our favourite Indian restaurant comes with a pretty hefty price tag, so ordering in is for special occasions only.
Give your purse a break and make this insanely delicious butter chicken recipe at home! I have updated my 2017 recipe to make it even easier and quicker to make – no browning, no fuss!
SLOW COOKER BUTTER CHICKEN
Butter Chicken is one of my fave curry recipes – tender chunks of chicken in an ultra rich and delicious sauce enriched with butter and cream.
Serious amounts of BUTTER and cream make this the PERFECT KETO MEAL, served with cauliflower rice or perhaps zucchini noodles.
Despite the richness of the sauce, this is a very easy recipe where the slow cooker does almost all the work. You can even prepare the sauce base in advance and freeze it so that you always have it to hand!
Murgh Makhani Ingredients
This easy chicken curry doesn’t require a ton of ingredients, other than a few spices which add so much flavour to the rich sauce.
- Chicken thighs or chicken breasts (skinless). Chicken thighs are more tender and suitable to this recipe.
- Onion and garlic
- Fresh ginger or ginger paste for convenience
- Lemon juice
- Diced tomatoes in their juice
- Tomato paste (you can leave this out if preferred)
- Spices: garam masala, smoked paprika, cayenne, turmeric, cumin
- Plenty of butter to enrich the sauce or coconut oil for a dairy free version
- Cream or full fat coconut milk for a dairy free version
HOW TO MAKE BUTTER CHICKEN CURRY
Full measurements and instructions can be found on the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page. Please take a look at the steps and video before attempting this recipe!
STEP 1 Cut the chicken thighs into cubes removing any large pieces of fat. Put all the sauce ingredients in a food processor and blitz to a smooth paste.
STEP 2 Add the paste into your slow cooker and mix in the diced chicken.
Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 hours or on LOW for 5 hours.
STEP 3 Stir in the butter until it melts into the sauce and add the cream.
STEP 4 Taste and adjust the seasoning (if needed). Garnish with chopped coriander and serve over rice or cauliflower rice.
You will also love…
Coconut Beef Curry
Slow Cooker Lamb Curry
Quick and easy prawn curry
Slow Cooker Butter Chicken Curry
For the sauce
- 1 onion chopped finely
- 4 garlic cloves
- 400 g | 14oz tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste (optional)
- 1 tbsp finely grated fresh ginger or ginger paste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp cayenne
- 10 large skinless chicken breasts cut into cubes
- 113 g (½ cup) unsalted butter cubed
- 120 ml (½ cup) cream heavy / double cream
- fresh coriander (cilantro) to garnish
- salt and pepper to season to taste
- Cut the chicken breasts into large cubes removing any large pieces of fat.
- Put all the sauce ingredients in a food processor and blitz to a smooth paste.
- Add the paste into your slow cooker and mix in the diced chicken.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 hours or on LOW for 5 hours.
- Stir in the butter until it melts into the sauce and add the cream.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning (if needed). Garnish with chopped coriander and serve over rice or cauliflower rice.
- The curry will keep in the fridge for 2-3 days.
- The sauce paste can be prepared in advance and frozen to use whenever you like!
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SUPERGOLDEN BAKES ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED. IF YOU WISH TO SHARE THIS RECIPE, THEN PLEASE DO SO BY USING THE SHARE BUTTONS PROVIDED. DO NOT SCREENSHOT / POST RECIPE OR CONTENT IN FULL.FOLLOW ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA