This creamy Philly Cheesesteak Soup is inspired by the delicious Philly cheesesteak sandwich. An insanely delicious low carb soup using roast beef, peppers, mushrooms and plenty of cheese!
You will also like my Low Carb Chicken Soup
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CHECK OUT MY DISCLOSURE
Philly Cheesesteak Soup
Have you ever had a Philly cheesesteak sandwich? My mouth is watering just picturing the crusty roll filled with sliced beef, onions and cheese sauce! So yummy right?
This twist on the original uses all the deliciousness of the sandwich minus the carbs! My Philly cheesesteak soup recipe is Keto and low carb but, above all, it is insanely delicious.
It is also a great way to use any leftovers from a beef roast – I used sliced brisket from my recent Slow Cooker Brisket recipe.
Here’s what you will need
I cooked this soup in my trusty Greenpan Dutch Oven but you can also make it in a slow cooker.
- Butter or olive oil
- Onion and garlic
- Green bell peppers
- Button mushrooms
- Beef or chicken broth – I used homemade chicken broth.
- Thinly sliced roast beef – you can use deli roast beef if you like
- Cream cheese or heavy cream
- Grated cheddar cheese (Provolone cheese is more traditional)
- Plenty of chopped parsley
HOW TO MAKE PHILLY CHEESESTEAK SOUP
Full measurements and instructions can be found on the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page. Please take a look at the steps and video before attempting this recipe!
Heat the butter in a large pot, over medium heat. Add the onions, peppers, mushrooms and garlic and cook, stirring, for 5-10 minutes.
Stir in the salt and pepper once the vegetables have softened – if you are using salted stock / broth you can leave the salt out.
Add the beef broth and sliced beef, stirring everything together. Bring to a boil then lower the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
Put the cream cheese in a measuring jug and add a ladleful of the broth from the pot. Use an immersion blender to combine.
Stir the cream cheese into the soup together with the grated cheese, stirring until cheese melts. Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed.
Divide into warm bowls and garnish with the chopped parsley and some extra grated cheese if you like. Serve with a slice of my keto bread.
Slow Cooker Philly Cheesesteak Soup
Cooking this Philly cheese steak soup in your slow cooker is super easy too. Sauté the vegetables – if your Crock Pot allows for searing then one pot less to wash up! – and add to your slow cooker.
Add the rest of the ingredients apart from the cream and cheese and cook on low for 6 hours. Blend the cream cheese with a little of the soup and stir into the soup together with the cheese before serving.
HAVE YOU MADE MY Philly CHEESESTEAK SOUP RECIPE? Please leave a rating, post a photo on my Facebook page, share it on Instagram, or save it to Pinterest with the tag #supergoldenbakes and make my day!
Creamy Philly Cheesesteak Soup | Low Carb / Keto
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 onion , diced
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 cup (120g) button mushrooms , sliced
- 2 green bell peppers , sliced thinly
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ ts black pepper
- 6 cups (1 ½ litres) beef broth or chicken broth (preferably homemade)
- 1 lb (450g) roast beef, sliced
- 1 cup (120g) full fat cream cheese or heavy cream
- 1 ½ cups (170g) freshly grated cheddar cheese or provolone cheese
- Chopped parsley , to garnish
- Salt and pepper to season , to taste
- Heat the butter in a large pot, over medium heat. Add the onions, peppers, mushrooms and garlic and cook, stirring, for 5-10 minutes until the vegetables have softened.
- Stir in the salt and pepper – if you are using canned stock / broth you then leave the salt out.
- Add the broth and sliced beef. Bring to a boil then lower the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Put the cream cheese in a measuring jug and add a ladleful of the broth from the pot. Use an immersion blender to combine.
- Stir the cream cheese into the soup together with the grated cheese, stirring until cheese melts.
- Taste the soup and season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Divide into warm bowls and garnish with the chopped parsley and some extra grated cheese if you like. Serve with a slice of my keto bread.
- Don’t have any leftover roast beef? You can use sliced deli meat or replace with chicken / turkey.
- Hate green peppers? Me too, normally, but I love them in this soup. If you really dislike them, replace them with yellow bell peppers.
- Want a dairy free soup? Replace the cream cheese with full fat coconut cream and the butter with coconut oil.