I was planning a whole slew of warming one-pot recipes to publish in September and then the weather decided to turn gloriously sunny. I mean talk about inconsiderate! Only joking – I will soak up the rays for as long as possible and my comfort food plans can take a back seat for now.
Especially when I can still keep the one-pot theme but have a recipe that celebrates the end of summer in a veritable riot of colour. It is one of the tastiest, healthiest and easiest meals on this blog and ready in about 30 minutes. Tomatoes, onions, peppers, chickpeas and cod spiced up with a little chorizo – basically summer on a plate.
I used frozen cod loin in this recipe – another great product I picked up at Iceland (the store, not the country). I am a huge fan of fresh fish, but I don’t often get the chance to visit the fishmonger. So it is good to note that frozen fish can often be fresher than those on offer at the fish counter – and a lot cheaper too.
I have been very impressed with the quality of the Iceland seafood products and they have now expanded into fantastic easy to cook meals as well. I enjoyed the sea bass en papillote enormously – hope it becomes part of their permanent range.
This cod with chorizo and chickpeas recipe came about partly because I had to use up chickpeas – since starting to use aquafaba (the liquid drained from a can of chickpeas) I have been looking for more ways to use them up!
Salted cod stew with chorizo and chickpeas is a classic recipe but I find that fish usually breaks up too much in stews. Baking the cod in the oven is so much quicker, even tastier, and requires very little effort. Serve with a crunchy green salad or over rice if you are feeling really hungry!
More healthy recipes to try
- Pancetta-wrapped cod with blistered tomatoes and lentils
- Low-carb Chicken alla Puttanesca
- Oven-baked tilapia with zucchini and asparagus
- Healthy Stir-Fried Singapore Noodles
- Skinny Pad Thai with courgette noodles
One-pan Cod with Chorizo and Chickpeas
- 5 tbsp olive oil or as needed
- 4 large cod loin fillets
- 400g (14oz) fresh cherry tomatoes halved (I used red, green and yellow)
- 1 400g (14oz) can chickpeas
- 85g (3oz) chorizo slices
- 4 garlic cloves peeled
- 2 red onions sliced
- 2 roasted red peppers sliced into thin strips from a jar - see note below
- 3 tbsp roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- splash white wine or Marsala
- juice of half a lemon
- salt and freshly ground pepper to season
- Preheat the oven to 200C (400F). Drizzle a little olive oil over a large roasting tray.
- Put the garlic and chorizo in a mini chopper and blitz until finely ground - or dice very finely by hand.
- Spread the chickpeas, onions and peppers over the tray. Nestle the tomatoes, cut side up, among them. Sprinkle with half the of chopped chorizo/garlic, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 10 minutes.
- Add a generous splash of wine to the tray and place the cod fillets over the vegetables. Rub with the remaining chorizo/garlic over the fish and drizzle with a little olive oil. Sprinkle with the paprika and season. Roast for 20 minutes or until the fish is cooked through.
- Squeeze a little lemon juice over the fish, sprinkle with the parsley and serve.
FOLLOW ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA