Of all the cakes, desserts and treats I have baked, this Oreo rocky road is the easiest and most addictive. It’s also the one recipe where both my kids are extremely eager to help both in the making and in the eating!
Rocky road is great if you happen to have leftover bits of chocolate from other baking projects or holidays where my kids get given tons of chocolate bunnies, Santas etc. It is pretty amazing with some Creme Eggs thrown in for example.
It really doesn’t matter too much if you mix different types of chocolate, although I usually prefer to make rocky road with 60% dark chocolate as it cuts down on the sweetness.
You can also add any type of biscuits, nuts and dried fruit like raisins and cherries. My kids however have put a stop to ‘yucky fruit’ from all bars, cookies and bakes. They are chocolate purists 😉
Rocky road has remarkable addictive properties so it is best cut into small squares and shared immediately or taken to school bake sales. Anything to take the temptation away from me basically because I am powerless to resist!
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp honey
- 600 g | 1 lb 3 oz chocolate chopped
- 125 g | 4 1/2 oz mini Oreo cookies
- 125 g | 4 1/2 oz salted cashews
- 200 g | 7oz mini marshmallows plus extra to sprinkle on top
- 3 crushed meringue nests optional
- Lightly grease a 19x28cm tin or square brownie pan and line with baking paper.
- Put the mini Oreos in the freezer - this will help them keep their shape when folded into the chocolate.
- Bring a small saucepan of water to the boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Put the honey, butter and chopped chocolate in a large bowl and sit the bowl over the pan making sure that the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the water (double boiler method).
- Stir together until the chocolate melts. Take off the heat.
- Reserve 200g (7oz) of the melted chocolate.
- Add the Oreos, marshmallows, cashews and crushed merigue and gently fold them into the chocolate.
- Spread the mixture into the prepared tin, pressing down to level.
- Spread the reserved chocolate over the rocky road. Add a handful of mini marshmallows.
- Put the rocky road in the fridge for two hours or until set.
- Cut into small squares using a large knife. Store the rocky road in the fridge for up to three days.