FOLLOW ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA
As I rushed home tonight I realised two things. One: I wanted to blog a recipe for Organic September. Two: today is the last day of September. First I mentally slapped myself and then I made the quickest sausage stew imaginable using a selection of Sainsbury’s So Organic products.
Turns out that organic doesn’t stop with fruit and vegetables even thought that is probably what most of us associate the term with. Sainsbury’s carries a large selection of organic products from meat, pasta, jam, nuts, wine and practically everything in between.
This warming sausage and bean stew uses organic products almost exclusively. It is a very easy, bang everything in, kind of a recipe which makes you look good with minimal effort. You can vary the vegetables depending on what’s in season and – this is a huge plus – fussy kids tend to love it. The thing that makes this recipe irresistible is the addition of pistou which is a quick pesto made with basil, garlic and Parmesan. If you want to make things even easier then use good quality shop-bought pesto instead.
For the pistou
2 large handfuls basil leaves
50g | 2 oz Parmesan cheese, grated
1 clove garlic
3-4 tbsp virgin olive oil*
1/2 tsp salt
For the stew
6 pork sausages*
2 onions* roughly chopped
3 garlic cloves, crushed
2 sticks celery*, chopped
1 red & 1 yellow bell pepper*, sliced
1 tin chopped tomatoes *
4 tbsp tomato paste*
1 tsp balsamic vinegar*
2 tsp sugar
1 beef stock cube
1 glass white wine*
1 glass water
1 bay leaf
2 tins cannellini beans*
Salt and pepper to season
* Sainsbury’s So Organic range
- Make the pistou by whizzing all the ingredients together in a food processor. Add more oil, if needed, to achieve the right consistency.
- Preheat the oven to 180C (350F) and place a large lidded casserole dish in it.
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large frying pan and brown the sausage for 5 minutes. Cut into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
- Add all the chopped vegetables and sugar and cook for 10 minutes over medium-low heat until softened.
- Add the sausages, chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, beans, bay leaf, balsamic vinegar and wine. Fill the empty tomato can with water and add. Crumble the stock cube and add (or dissolve in hot water first).
- Stir everything together and bring to a rolling simmer.
- Carefully remove the casserole dish from the oven and transfer the stew in it.
- Cook in the oven with the lid on for 30-40 minutes.
- Cool slightly and stir in the pistou. Serve plain or with plenty of buttery mash.
Sainsbury’s send me a range of their SO Organic products which I used to create this recipe.