Skinny Pad Thai with courgette noodles
An absolutely delicious 'skinny' take on Pad Thai with courgette (zucchini) noodles. Quick, easy and delicious.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time20 mins
Servings: 1 large serving
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp palm sugar or Sukrin sweetener
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 large garlic clove finely minced (use a garlic press)
- 1/2 tsp cornflour cornstarch diluted in 1 tbsp cold water
- 1 small red chilli finely chopped
- 1 shallot finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp tamarind paste
- 1 small bunch spring onions scallions finely chopped
- reserve 1 tbsp to sprinkle on top of cooked dish
- 180 g | 6.4oz jumbo raw prawns (shrimp)
- 1 large courgette (zucchini) per serving
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil to fry
- 2 tbsp crushed peanuts to serve or replace with paleo-friendly nuts
- 1 tbsp coriander (cilantro) finely chopped to serve
- Lime wedges to serve
Use a spiralizer to create the courgette noodles. Put them on a large plate and set aside.
Put the fish sauce, palm sugar, lime juice, garlic, tamarind paste in a small bowl and mix together to dissolve the palm sugar. Mix in the cornflour.
Devein the prawns (shrimp) and cut along the spine to 'butterfly' them. Set them aside.
Crack the egg in a small bowl and mix together with a fork.
Heat the oil in a large pan or small wok. Add the shallot and spring onions and cook, stirring constantly, for about a minute.
Add the prawns and cook, stirring constantly, until they just turn pink.
Add the sauce mix and stir together for a couple of minutes.
Push everything in the pan to one side and add the egg to the other side. Let it cook for a minute until it starts to set, then scramble it by mixing with the other ingredients.
Serve over the courgette noodles and sprinkle with some crushed peanuts and a scattering of chopped coriander and spring onions.
If you can't find tamarind paste use 1/2 tbsp vinegar and a few drops of Worcestershire sauce.
If you wish to serve 2 increase the prawn quantity and add 2 eggs put keep the rest of the ingredients the same. Use 1 courgette (zucchini) per person.
Calories: 580kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 41g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 390mg | Sodium: 3966mg | Potassium: 1336mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 21g | Vitamin A: 1605IU | Vitamin C: 119.6mg | Calcium: 212mg | Iron: 4.5mg