Beef Chili with Cornbread Dumplings
This delicious beef chili with cornbread dumblings will become your go-to family meal!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time1 hr
Total Time1 hr 10 mins
Servings: 4 -6 servings
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions peeled and finely chopped
- 2 sticks celery finely chopped
- 1 red & 1 orange or green bell pepper, finely diced
- 800 g | 1 1/2 pounds minced beef
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp smoked sweet paprika
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 x400g | 14oz can kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 2 x400g | 14oz cans chopped tomatoes in juice
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 250 ml | 1 cup beef stock
- 250 ml | 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp dark brown sugar
- Salt and pepper
- <b>Cornbread dumplings</b>
- 200 g | 7oz self-raising flour
- 70 g | 2.5oz cornmeal polenta
- 70 g | 2.5oz coarsely grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 150 ml | 5fl oz cup whole milk or buttermilk more if needed
Heat oil in a large saucepan and cook the vegetables, oregano, spices and ground beef, stirring until the meat is well browned.
Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season to taste.
Meanwhile make the cornbread dumplings by combining the flour, cornmeal, cheese and salt in a bowl. Mix the milk with beaten egg and stir them in. If the batter is too dry add a little more milk a tablespoon at a time.
Use wet hands to roll the dumplings and place on top of the chili. Cover the pot and cook for another 15-20 minutes.
Serve with grated cheese, avocado and sour cream or with rice. Freeze the chili, in portions, for up to three months.