Chocolate cupcakes with chocolate Irish cream frosting
Servings: 12 -14 large cupcakes
- For the cupcakes
- 150 g | 5 1/2oz plain all purpose flour
- 25 g | 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 165 g | 6oz soft light brown sugar
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 100 g | 3 1/2oz unsalted butter cubed
- 2 large eggs
- 100 g | 3 1/2oz buttermilk
- 3 tbsp freshly brewed espresso or use espresso powder or Camp coffee syrup
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- For the frosting
- 300 g | 10 1/2oz icing sugar
- 300 g | 10 1/2oz full-fat mascarpone cheese
- 150 g | 5.3oz dark chocolate chopped
- 25 g | 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 100 ml | 3.3fl oz Irish cream Baileys
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- grated chocolate to garnish or you can use whatever sprinkles you prefer
Preheat the oven to 180C (350F) and put cupcake cases into a 12 hole muffin tin.
Put the flour, cocoa powder, sugar and salt in the bowl of a food processor or stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Process/mix for a couple of seconds to combine.
Add the cubed butter and process/mix until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
Add the eggs and process/mix until well combined.
Mix the buttermilk with the coffee and vanilla extract and add gradually to the batter beating or blitzing until completely mixed in. Scrape the sides of the bowl and mix again.
Divide the batter among the cupcake cases, filling 2/3 of the way.
Bake for 17-20 minutes until risen and firm. Cool on a wire rack before frosting.
Put the chocolate and butter in a bowl and set over a saucepan of barely simmering water. Allow to melt, stirring occasionally, until completely smooth. Stir in the Irish cream and mix together - the choclate will thicken slightly.
Put the icing sugar, mascarpone and a third of the melted chocolate in the bowl of your stand mixer and start beating on low speed, increasing to maximum once the ingredients are incorporatead.
Add the rest of the chocolate and vanilla extract and mix until completely smooth.
Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a large star tip and generously frost each of the cupcakes.
Add a little grated chocolate and serve.