Diet Coke Chicken (a.k.a Cola Chicken / Crockpot BBQ chicken)
This Diet Coke Chicken (a.k.a Cola Chicken / Crockpot BBQ chicken) is slimming friendly, mega tasty and so easy to prepare in your slow cooker, Instant Pot or the stove. And what’s more, no one will ever suspect this pulled chicken is ‘diet food’ - that’s our little secret ;)
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time2 hrs
- 6 large chicken breasts or 8 skinless chicken thighs
- 120 ml | ½ cup Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi see notes
- 1 Large onion , finely grated or whizzed in a food processor until pulpy
- 2 large garlic cloves , minced
- 4 tbsp tomato purée (or paste)
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp granulated sweetener Sukrin Gold
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion granules
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 green bell pepper roughy chopped
- 120 ml ½ cup Passata
- Salt and pepper to season
Slow Cooker Method
Add the diet coke, minced onion, garlic, sweetener, cider vinegar, salt and spices, tomato purée, Worcestershire and soy sauce in the slow cooker.
STEP Mix together to combine.
STEP Add the chicken breasts nestling them in the sauce.
STEp Add a diced green pepper and passata and turn the chicken over to coat in the sauce. Cover and cook on HIGH for 2-3 hours or LOW for 3-4 hours.
STEP Open the slow cooker and remove the chicken breasts into a bowl. Discard the pepper.
STEP Use two forks to shred the chicken breasts.
STEP Mix the shredded chicken back into the sauce to coat. Check the seasoning and add salt and pepper, to taste.
STEP Serve over rice with plenty of vegetables, in tacos or wraps, with salad or in lettuce boats.
Used diced chicken for the stovetop version, do not shred.
Add the diet coke, minced onion, garlic, sweetener, cider vinegar, salt and spices, tomato purée, passata, Worcestershire and soy sauce to a deep pan and stir together to combine.
Add the diced chicken and bring to a rolling simmer.
Reduce the heat and cook on a low simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the pan gets a bit dry then add a little hot water.
Check the seasoning and add salt and pepper, to taste. Serve with your choice of sides.
Instant Pot Method
Add the diet coke, minced onion, garlic, sweetener, cider vinegar, salt and spices, tomato purée, Worcestershire and soy sauce in the Instant Pot.
Mix together to combine.
Add the chicken breasts and diced pepper nestling them in the sauce.
Pour in the passata, do not stir.
Cook for 15 minutes on High Pressure, allow for 5 minutes natural release then release steam manually.
Discard the pepper. Remove and shred the chicken then add back in the sauce.
If the sauce needs reducing then cook on Sauté until it has thickened to your liking.
- The best way to check chicken is cooked properly is to test internal temperature with a digital thermometer. Cook until the chicken reaches 75C/165F on a digital thermometer.
- Can I use frozen chicken breasts? This diet coke chicken can be made with frozen chicken breasts in the crock pot and pressure cooker. In a slow cooker, add the chicken in the sauce and cook on LOW for 6 hours or HIGH for 4. You don’t have to make any adjustments to cook frozen chicken in the Instant Pot, it will simply take longer for the machine to come to pressure.
- You can make a diet coke pork version by using pork shoulder steaks trimmed of all visible fat. Pork is not as lean as chicken, even with fat removed. If you really want to remove most of the fat, cool the pork and then chill in the fridge for a few hours or overnight. Any fat will solidify and you can skim it off.
Please note I am not affiliated in any way with Slimming World. Syn values are based on the Slimming World online calculator.
Nutritional information is always approximate, and will depend on quality of ingredients and serving sizes.
Calories: 293kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 50g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 145mg | Sodium: 1057mg | Potassium: 1066mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 540IU | Vitamin C: 23.2mg | Calcium: 29mg | Iron: 1.9mg