Quick and easy prawn curry
If you are looking for a quick midweek meal then you can’t go wrong with curried prawns! This easy recipe is all about minimum effort and maximum flavour.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time20 mins
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil or use Fry Light spray
- 1 onion , finely diced
- 1 tbsp Garam Masala or mild curry powder
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 red chilli , finely diced
- 2 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 50 g | 1/4 cup ground almonds (see notes)
- 240 ml | 1 cup light coconut milk
- 120 ml | 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 2 bell peppers , sliced
- 700 g | 1.5oz raw peeled prawns (shrimp)
- 225 g | 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 lime quartered , to serve
- Coriander (cilantro), to serve
- Pinch chilli flakes, to serve
Heat the oil in a large pan or wok. Cook the onion over medium heat for a couple of minutes until softened.
Stir the curry Garam Masala, salt, turmeric, garlic, chilli and fresh ginger.
Add the tomato paste and stock. Stir in the ground almonds, coconut milk, and bell peppers. Cook for 5 minutes.
Add the prawns and cook until they just turn pink – a couple of minutes.
Finally, add the spinach and cook until it wilts. Check and adjust the seasoning to your taste.
Serve over rice with a pinch of chilli flakes and lime wedges on the side.
Curried prawns variations
Slimming world syns
This recipe is naturally pretty low in syns. Light coconut milk is 8 syns per 200ml, divided by four this is just 2 syns per serving.
Ground almonds are quite high in syns, 15 for 50g, however 25g is allowed as a healthy extra. You can replace the ground almonds with cornflour which is only 1 syn per tablespoon. Serve with steamed basmati rice (free).
- This recipe uses Indian spices but you could easily replace them with a little store-bought curry paste.
- Give this recipe a Thai spin by using red Thai curry paste instead of the ground spices.
- Replace the spinach with peas or any other vegetables that cook quickly.
- Replace the ground almonds with 1 tbsp cornflour (cornstarch) diluted in 1 tbsp cold water.
- This curry is fairly dry. You can add more coconut milk or stock if you would like more sauce.
Please note I am not affiliated in any way with Slimming World. Syn values are based on the Slimming World online calculator. Nutritional information is always approximate, and will depend on the ingredients you choose, how big your servings are and so on.
Calories: 343kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 220mg | Sodium: 1856mg | Potassium: 808mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 154.9% | Vitamin C: 136% | Calcium: 19.3% | Iron: 18.1%