Delicious homemade White Hot Chocolate
If you are a hot chocolate fan then you simply must try this delicious white hot chocolate! It is easy to prepare, requires only a handful of ingredients and feels like a most decadent treat.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time15 mins
- 200 g | 7oz bar white chocolate
- 1 litre | 4 cups whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla paste or extract
For the whipped cream
- 250 ml | 1 cup whipping cream
- 4 tbsp icing (powdered) sugar
- Mini marsmallows
- Chocolate or caramel syrup
White Hot Chocolate - stovetop method
If you are making the whipped cream from scratch, make this first. Whisk cold whipping cream or heavy cream with stand or hand mixer. Add 3-4 tablespoons icing (powdered) sugar for a touch of sweetness. Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a large star tip.
Chop the chocolate bar using a large knife. Place the bar on a cutting board and press the knife down firmly using the palm of your hand.
Put the milk, chopped white chocolate and vanilla paste or extract in a medium saucepan. Warm gently over medium-low heat, stirring until the chocolate melts. Don’t allow the milk to come to the boil, it will spoil the taste and the chocolate might seize.
Ladle the white hot chocolate into cups filling about ¾ of the way to allow space for the whipped cream or marshmallows!
Pipe the cream over the hot chocolate, starting from the edge of the cup and piping in a circular motion. The cream will eventually melt into the hot chocolate so make sure the cup has a bit of space!
Add sprinkles or any other toppings you like and serve immediately.
White Hot Chocolate - slow cooker method
Put all the ingredients in the slow cooker and cook on LOW for 1 ½ - 2 hours, stirring every so often. You don’t want the chocolate to sink to the bottom and burn. Once ready, turn to the warm setting or ideally serve immediately.
White Hot Chocolate variations
White Hot Chocolate toppings
- For a grown up version stir in a little Baileys (my favourite) or Kalhua. You can also add a touch of Baileys into your whipped cream
- Freeze dried strawberry powder will turn the hot chocolate pink! Perfect for kids birthday parties
- Matcha powder will turn the hot chocolate green – a St Patrick’s Day special?
- Use peppermint extract and decorate with mini candy canes for a festive version
- Coconut extract and coconut shavings are delicious too!
- Dip the cup into chocolate syrup and then into cookie crumbs to frost. Add chocolate syrup and cookie crumbs to decorate
- Marshmallows are always welcome – I find them a bit too sweet in white hot chocolate but my kids can’t get enough of them
- Caramel syrup if you really want to go over the top!
- A sprinkling of cinnamon or nutmeg - mmmmm delicious!
Calories: 550kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 41g | Saturated Fat: 24g | Cholesterol: 96mg | Sodium: 96mg | Potassium: 189mg | Sugar: 39g | Vitamin A: 935IU | Vitamin C: 0.7mg | Calcium: 140mg | Iron: 0.1mg