Pressure Cooker Lamb Dhansak curry
Meet your new favourite dinner! This pressure cooker lamb Dhansak curry is delicious, so easy and mild enough for the whole family to enjoy.
Prep Time7 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time37 mins
- 2-3 tbsp sunflower or coconut oil
- 900 g | 2 lbs diced lamb
- 2 large onions finely diced
- 4 large garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tbsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tbsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 10 cardamom pods seeds only
- 1 tsp ginger paste or freshly grated ginger
- 100 g | 1/2 cup split red lentils rinsed well
- 400 g | 14oz tinned tomatoes
- 240 ml | 1 cup beef or chicken stock (low sodium broth)
- 1 red chilli roughly chopped (with seeds)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-2 tbsp honey or to taste (optional)
- Fresh coriander (cilantro) to serve
- Salt and pepper to season
Split the cardamom pods and reserve the little seeds. Crush them in a pestle and mortar.
Heat 1-2 tbsp oil in your Instant Pot using the ‘sauté’ function or in a large pan and brown the lamb, in batches. Set aside.
Add a little more oil in the pressure cooker and sauté the onions for 5 minutes, stirring.
Add the garlic, all the spices, salt and ginger and stir.
Return the lamb to the pot and stir in the lentils.
Add the tomatoes, stock, cinnamon stick and bay leaf and stir to combine.
Cover, set vent to sealing and cook for 20 minutes at high pressure.
Let the pressure release manually for 10 minutes, then manually release the rest.
Taste the curry and season with salt and pepper. Add a little honey if it needs a touch of sweetness.
Serve over rice garnished with fresh coriander (cilantro).
I used a 6L/Q Instant Pot Duo for this recipe.
You could bulk up this recipe by adding 200g (1 cup) of lentils.
A little yoghurt or raita and some naan bread would be great with this lamb curry
Calories: 580kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 57g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 148mg | Sodium: 664mg | Potassium: 1476mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 355IU | Vitamin C: 34mg | Calcium: 131mg | Iron: 9.8mg