Pressure cooker sweet potato, chickpea and red lentil soup
This delicious and hearty soup cooks in 10 minutes in your pressure cooker. Healthy, vegan, and gluten free, it is guaranteed to become a family favourite!
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time15 mins
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 200 g (7 oz) canned chickpeas, drained
- 1 onion finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tsp ginger paste or finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 400 g (14 oz) canned chopped tomatoes
- 2 large sweet potatoes peeled cut into small cubes
- 200 g (1 cup) dry split red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1.2 litre (5 cups) vegetable stock (broth)
- Lemon juice to taste
- Finely chopped coriander cilantro
- Lemon zest to garnish
- Handful mixed seeds to garnish
- Pinch dried red chilli flakes to garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
Heat the oil in your pressure cooker using the ‘sauté’ function. Add the onion, garlic and ginger and cook for 5 minutes, stirring, until softened.
Add the spices, salt, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, lentils, chickpeas and stock and stir.
Set vent to sealing and cook on high pressure for 5 minutes, then release the pressure manually.
Stir in some lemon or lime juice to add some acidity – I used 1 tablespoon.
Taste the soup and season with salt and pepper as needed.
Transfer two ladlefuls of the soup in a blender and process until smooth, or blitz using an immersion blender. Stir this back into the soup.
Serve the soup garnished with chopped coriander (cilantro), lemon zest and a handful of crunchy seeds.
- Please note 200g (7oz) is the drained weight of chickpeas from a 400g (14oz) can.
- If you want to add some kale or chopped spinach, remove the stems and shred the leaves. Cook for up to 5 minutes on the ‘sauté’ setting after step 6.
- If you use dry chickpeas they will need 40 minutes high pressure cooking unsoaked and 25 minutes cooking if soaked overnight. The ratio is 200g (1 cup) chickpeas to 750ml (3 cups) water.
- If you want to cook the soup on your stovetop, heat the oil in a deep pot and cook as in the main method. Simmer the soup for 20-25 minutes until the sweet potatoes and red lentils are cooked.
- I used a 6L/Q Instant Pot Duo in this recipe.
Calories: 250kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 5g | Sodium: 604mg | Potassium: 685mg | Fiber: 14g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 128.5% | Vitamin C: 13.1% | Calcium: 7.4% | Iron: 23.2%