Instant Pot lentil and bean chili
This Instant Pot lentil and bean chili is hearty, healthy, delicious and budget-friendly. Mild enough for kids to enjoy and endlessly versatile: serve over rice, as jacket potato filling, in taco salad, nachos or turn into a burrito. Dial up the spice by adding some ancho chilli paste if you like it hot!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil or use Fry Light for Slimming World version
- 1 large onion finely diced
- 3 large garlic cloves minced
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp hot chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp ancho chili paste (optional)
- 1 red bell pepper finely diced
- 1 green bell pepper finely diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper finely diced
- 1 cup (160g) black beans, rinsed
- 1 cup (160g) green lentils, rinsed
- 1 cup (180g) red split lentils, rinsed
- 2x 15oz (400g) canned chopped tomatoes in juice
- 4 cups (950ml) hot vegetable stock from 1 cube
- Handful Fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves to garnish
Add the oil into your pressure cooker and select the ‘Sauté’ function. Alternatively use a low calorie cooking spray such as Fry Light.
Add the chopped onion and sauté for about 3 minutes, then add the garlic, spices and seasoning. Stir to combine.
Add the peppers, and paste if using, and stir for 2 minutes.
Stir in the beans, lentils, tomatoes and stock.
Set your vent to ‘sealing’ and cook for 25 minutes on high pressure. Allow the pressure to release naturally for 20 minutes then manually release.
Taste the seasoning and adjust if necessary.
Serve over rice, as jacket potato filling, in taco salad, nachos or turn into a burrito.
- I used a 6L/Q Instant Pot Duo for this recipe.
- I used unsalted canned tomatoes, if you use salted reduce the added salt in the recipe.
- Although the active pressure cooking time is 25 minutes (plus 5 minutes sautéing) the recipe requires 20 minutes natural release so factor that in when making the recipe.
- This recipe is FREE on Slimming World if you use a low calorie cooking spray. Any cheese topping is a healthy extra. Avoid adding avocado which is very high in SYNS. Only 8 Smart Points for those on Weight Watchers!
Please note I am not affiliated in any way with Slimming World or Weight Watchers. Syn values and SmartPoints are based on online calculators.
Nutritional information is always approximate, and will depend on quality of ingredients and serving sizes.
Calories: 302kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 5g | Sodium: 1220mg | Potassium: 689mg | Fiber: 21g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 585IU | Vitamin C: 3.1mg | Calcium: 44mg | Iron: 5.5mg