One–pot Vietnamese Beef Stew
This highly aromatic one~pot Vietnamese Beef Stew will become your favourite family meal.
Prep Time1 hr 10 mins
Cook Time2 hrs
Total Time3 hrs 10 mins
- 900 g 2lb beef shin, cut into cubes
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice powder
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 2 lemongrass stalks finely chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp palm sugar or dark brown sugar
- 4 banana shallots peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 green chillies finely chopped
- 4 large tomatoes chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 star anise
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 625 ml | 2 1/2 cups hot beef stock
- 450 g | 1lb butternut squash peeled and cubed
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- Basil leaves chopped to garnish
Combine the beef, flour, spice, pepper, lemongrass, garlic, soy sauce and sugar in a bowl and mix well. Leave to marinate for an hour.
Preheat the oven to 160C (325F) and have all your vegetables prepared.
Put the oil in the casserole and heat over medium high heat. Once the oil is hot, lower the temperature to medium-low and brown the beef cubes.
Add the shallots and chillies and fry for a couple of minutes.
Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, carrots, cinnamon stick, star anise, kaffir lime leaves and stock and bring slowly to a rolling simmer.
Cover the casserole and transfer to the oven. Cook for an hour then add the butternut squash (be careful the pot will be very hot) and give the stew a stir.
Return to the oven and cook for a further 45 minutes to 1 hour until meat is very tender.
Add some chopped basil leaves, check the seasoning and serve with crusty bread.
- You can make this in any lidded casserole (Dutch oven) and it can be left to slowly simmer on the stove for 2 hours.
- Instructions on how to cook this Vietnamese Beef Stew in a slow cooker.
- Instructions on how to cook this Vietnamese Beef Stew in a pressure cooker (Instant Pot).
Calories: 670kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 69g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 175mg | Sodium: 1094mg | Potassium: 1896mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 465.9% | Vitamin C: 62.3% | Calcium: 14.7% | Iron: 49.6%