Gingerbread cake with cinnamon cream cheese frosting
This gingerbread layer cake with cinnamon cream cheese frosting is simply perfect for Christmas celebrations.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time40 mins
- 350 g | 2 ¾ cups plain flour (all purpose flour)
- 330 g | 1 ⅔ cups dark brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- ½ tsp salt
- 200 g | ¾ cup + 1 heaped tbsp unsalted butter cubed
- 3 large eggs lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp treacle (molasses) optional
- 1 orange zest only
- 200 ml ¾ cup + 2 tbsp whole milk
- 1 tbsp fresh orange or lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp crystallised (candied) ginger or stem ginger very finely diced
For the frosting
- 300 g | 1 ⅓ cups full-fat cream cheese
- ½ tbsp ground cinnamon or vanilla paste
- 400 g | 1 ¾ cups double cream (heavy cream) whipped to soft peaks
- 200 g | 2 cups icing sugar (powdered sugar)
Preheat the oven to 180C (350F). Grease and line three 20cm | 8in layers cake tins - or spray with cake release. You can also use three 15cm | 6in cake tins – your cake layers will be taller.
Sift all the dry ingredients and add them to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on low speed to combine.
Add the cubed butter and mix for a couple of minutes until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs / sand.
Add the eggs, one by one, mixing well after each addition. Mix in the treacle.
Add the milk, orange or lemon juice, vanilla extract and zest and beat together. Stop and scrape the bottom and sides of the mixing bowl. Continue mixing for a couple of minutes until batter is smooth.
Fold the chopped ginger into the batter and divide between the prepared cake tins.
Bake for 20-25 minutes until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
Make the frosting
Whip the double cream and icing sugar (using your stand mixer) till you have soft peaks. Transfer to another bowl.
Place the cream cheese and ground cinnamon in the bowl of your stand mixer and whip until soft and fluffy. Slowly add the whipped cream and whip together briefly until combined. Don't whip for too long.
For an alternative frosting/filling, whisk 500g (1lb) mascarpone cheese with 200g (7oz) icing sugar. Gradually add 200g (7oz) double cream and whisk until you have firm peaks. If the frosting is too stiff you can add a bit more cream. Add vanilla extract or cinnamon or any other flavourings you like to customise. This method is shown in the recipe video.
If ginger is not your favourite, try adding some caramel sauce to the frosting instead.
Calories: 686kcal | Carbohydrates: 67g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 44g | Saturated Fat: 26g | Cholesterol: 182mg | Sodium: 521mg | Potassium: 387mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 37g | Vitamin A: 1594IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 192mg | Iron: 3mg