One-pot Greek Roast Lamb with potatoes and fennel
This one-pot Greek toast lamb with potatoes and fennel is very easy to prepare and cooks in about 40 minutes.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time50 mins
Servings: 3 -4 servings
- 900 g/2lbs butterflied leg of lamb
- 6 large potatoes such as Maris Piper skin on, sliced into medium rounds
- 1 large fennel bulb sliced into medium rounds
- 4 red onions sliced into medium rounds
- 4 garlic cloves sliced
- 1/2 lemon – or more to taste
- 2 tsp anchovy paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 2 tsp dried oregano wild Greek oregano if you can find it
- olive oil
- white cooking wine – or lamb stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to season
Preheat the oven to 230C (450F). Put the oven rack on the lower half of the oven.
Rub the anchovy and garlic paste all over the lamb. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with a little rosemary and thyme.
Arrange all the sliced vegetables, slightly overlapping, over the bottom of the pan. Add the sliced garlic and sprinkle with the remaining rosemary, thyme and oregano. Squeeze half a lemon over the vegetables and drizzle with a little olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and add enough white wine to just cover the vegetables (you can also use stock instead of wine).
Set the rack over the vegetables and place the lamb, skin side up, on it. Drizzle with a little olive oil.
Roast for 15 minutes in the hot oven then lower the temperature to 180C (350F) and cover loosely with foil. Cook for another 15-20 minutes (depending on how rare you like it - it is best when a little rare) then take the meat out of the oven and rest it, covered loosely with foil, for 15 minutes.
The potatoes should be done by the time the meat has rested. Slice the lamb and serve with the vegetables and a nice Greek salad.