Mexican Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
Pulled pork is so easy to cook in your slow cooker! This Mexican pulled pork is perfect on tacos, tostadas or enchiladas.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time8 hrs 30 mins
Total Time8 hrs 50 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 900 g | 2lbs boneless pork shoulder
- 480 ml | 2 cups chicken stock
- juice of 1 large orange
- 3 tbsp ketchup or tomato paste
- 3 large garlic cloves peeled and sliced
- 2 yellow onions peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 2 strips orange peel
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 dried ancho chillies or 2 tsp ancho chilli powder
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 cinnamon stick broken in two
- splash tequila optional
- coarse salt and pepper
- a little vegetable oil to sear the pork
- tortillas pico de gallo, sliced avocado, grated cheese, sour cream, sliced chillies, lime wedges, fresh coriander (cilantro) to serve
Rub the pork with a little coarse sea salt and season with black pepper. Heat a splash of vegetable oil in a large frying pan. Sear the pork on all sides and set aside.
Put the dried chillies in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave for five minutes to rehydrate. Remove the stalks, slice open and remove the seeds. Pulse with a little of the water in a blender or food processor until you have a paste.
Add the chilli paste and all other ingredients in the slow cooker and mix together. Add the pork and then cook on low for 7-8 hours.
Carefully transfer the pork to a platter and cover loosely with foil. Let it rest for 15 minutes and then shred with a fork, discarding any fat.
Strain the liquid from the slow cooker into a pot. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 30 minutes or until the liquid is significantly reduced and slightly viscous. Check the seasoning and then mix with the pulled pork.
Serve the pulled pork with small tortillas (warm them in the oven for a few minutes), guacamole or sliced avocados, salsa, grated cheese, sour cream and fresh coriander. Serve with sliced red and green chillies for some extra heat and lime wedges on the side.