Pea, Edamame, Chilli and Coconut Soup
Thai-style vegan pea, edamame, chilli and coconut soup – delicious and packed with flavour.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 litres | about 8 cups vegetable stock
- 400 g | 14oz frozen peas
- 100 g | 3.5oz frozen edamame beans
- 100 g | 3.5oz brocolli chopped (I used the stalk)
- 100 g | 3.5oz coconut cream
- 1 medium leek finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp coconut oil or canola oil
- 2 tbsp lemongrass paste from a jar
- 2 tbsp coriander cilantro stalks
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 small green chilli seeded and finely chopped
- pinch dried chilli flakes
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- juice of 1 lime more to serve
- a little grated lime zest to garnish (optional)
- fresh coriander leaves to garnish
- a few edamame beans to garnish optional
Heat the coconut oil in a large casserole and then sweat the leek and garlic over medium-low heat until they start to soften.
Add the broccoli, lemongrass, coriander stalks, ginger, chopped chilli, kaffir lime leaves and good pinch of salt. Cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring everything together.
Add the stock, peas, edamame beans and bring to the boil. Lower heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Stir in the coconut cream and lime juice and cook a further 5 minutes..
Remove the lime leaves and liquidise the soup in a blender until you have your preferred consistency. Check the seasoning.
Serve with a pinch of dried chilli flakes, a little coconut cream swirled over the soup (optional), a few coriander leaves to garnish and extra lime wedges on the side.