Blueberry Waffles with Coconut Cream
Crisp on the outside and fluffy on the inside: make these buttermilk blueberry waffles today!
Prep Time10 mins
Total Time10 mins
Servings: 5 -6
- 250 g | 9oz | 2 level cups plain all purpose flour
- 230 ml | 8fl oz | scant cup low fat buttermilk
- 230 ml | 8fl oz | scant cup skimmed milk
- 150 g | 5.3oz fresh blueberries
- 115 g | 4oz | 1 stick unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- zest of 1 lemon
- oil spray to coat the waffle maker
- For the coconut cream and to serve
- 400 g | 14oz tin full fat coconut milk
- 150 g | 5.3oz icing sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- extra blueberries to serve
- icing sugar to dust
- maple syrup or agave nectar to drizzle
Put the tin of coconut milk in the fridge the day before you want to use it.
Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt in a large bowl. Add the blueberries and toss to coat them in the flour.
Combine the milk, buttermilk, eggs, melted butter, lemon juice and zest in a measure jug. Mix together with a fork or balloon whisk.
Pour the wet into the dry ingredients and use the balloon whisk to briefly combine everything together. Set aside while the waffle maker heats up.
Spray the waffle maker with cooking spray and add a ladleful of batter in the centre of the waffle maker (amount will depend on size of machine), close and cook until golden and crisp.
Remove the waffle with tongs and continue until batter is used up.
Open the tin of coconut milk and scoop the solid cream into your mixing bowl leaving any liquid behind. Add the vanilla extract and icing sugar and chill the bowl for 20 minutes. Whisk until slowly to combine at first and then increase the speed until you have soft peaks. If you are not using immediately then keep it in the fridge.
Serve the waffles with a little coconut cream, fresh blueberries and a dusting of icing sugar. Drizzle with maple syrup or agave nectar.
Calories: 751kcal | Carbohydrates: 90g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 39g | Saturated Fat: 28g | Cholesterol: 120mg | Sodium: 755mg | Potassium: 562mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 47g | Vitamin A: 855IU | Vitamin C: 4.9mg | Calcium: 211mg | Iron: 5.5mg