Thai Green Curry Chicken Meatballs
Make your own Thai green curry paste to make this flavourful meatball version of the classic recipe.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time45 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- <b>For the curry paste</b>
- small bunch fresh coriander cilantro roughly chopped
- reserve a few leaves to garnish
- 4 green chillies deseeded and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic peeled
- 2 shallots peeled and quartered
- 2 stalks lemongrass outer leaves removed, roughly chopped
- small piece fresh ginger peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp coconut oil melted
- 1 tbsp palm sugar optional
- 2 kaffir lime leaves or zest of 1 lime
- juice of 1 lime
- <b>For the meatballs</b>
- 580 g | 20oz skinless chicken thighs or chicken mince
- 100 g | 3.5oz Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 shallot peeled and quartered
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 400 g | 14oz coconut milk
- green and red chillies finely chopped, to garnish (optional)
- lime wedges to serve
- 2-3 tbsp coconut oil melted, to cook
Put all the ingredients for the paste in a blender or food processor and blitz until you have a well blended paste. Transfer to a bowl but do not clean the blender.
Add the shallots, breadcrumbs, salt and chicken to the blender and blitz until you have a uniform paste. Transfer to a large bowl, cover and put in the fridge for 30 minutes.
With slightly damp hands, form the meatballs and set aside.
Heat the coconut oil in a large non-stick pan and then fry the meatballs, in batches if necessary, over medium heat until nicely browned on all sides.
Add your paste to the pan and stir until heated through. Add the coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Cook for about 10 minutes, testing one of the meatballs to make sure it is completely cooked through.
Serve with steamed rice or spiralized zoodles. Sprinkle with finely chopped green and red chillies, garnish with a few coriander leaves, and serve with lime wedges on the side.