Traditional Swiss Cheese Fondue
Traditional Swiss Cheese Fondue is deliciously rich and the perfect retro festive dish to share at your Christmas dinner party.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
- For the fondue
- 1 large garlic clove lightly crushed
- 1 cup dry white wine preferably from Jura
- 200 g | 7oz grated Gruyère or Beaufort cheese
- 200 g | 7oz grated Emmental or mature Comté cheese
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry or kirsch
- pinch freshly ground black pepper
- pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- To serve
- medium baguette cut into small cubes
- crudites boiled new potatoes, charcuterie
Rub the garlic clove over the bottom and sides of a saucepan. You can leave the clove in for a stronger taste or discard.
Pour in the wine and bring to a low simmer over medium-low heat.
Reduce the heat to low. Gradually add the cheese, a few handfuls at a time, stirring slowly in a figure of eight.
Continue until all the cheese is added. If it is not melting readily ,increase the heat, but only slightly
Stir in the sherry, pepper and grated nutmeg.
Transfer the melted cheese to your fondue pot to serve. Offer a platter of cubed bread, crudites etc for your guests to dip into the fondue. Give the pot an occasional stir to avoid the cheese setting.