Spinach and feta savoury muffins
Spanakopita muffins - packed with feta cheese, spinach and herbs these make the perfect portable snack.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time35 mins
Servings: 12 muffins
- Wet ingredients
- 330 ml | 11fl oz buttermilk
- 90 ml | 3fl oz light olive oil or vegetable oil + 1 tbsp to fry
- 1 large egg
- 250 g | 8.8oz ready-washed baby spinach
- 200 g | 7oz feta cheese finely crumbled
- 3 tbsp finely grated kefalotyri or use Parmesan
- 5 spring onions scallions finely diced
- 2 tbsp fresh chives very finely diced
- 2 tbsp fresh dill very finely diced
- Dry ingredients
- 375 g | 13.5oz self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- a little butter or vegetable shortening to grease the muffin tins
Preheat the oven to 180C (350F). Lightly grease two small silicone muffin tins (or you can use muffin cases).
Shred the spinach leaves. Heat 1/2 tbsp of olive oil in a large frying pan then add the spinach all in one go.
Stir the leaves until wilted. Transfer to a bowl to cool slightly. Once cool enough to handle wring as much moisture out of the leaves squeezing them in your hands.
Add a little more oil to the pan and cook the spring onions for a couple of minutes. Add the chopped herbs, stir them in and then take off the heat.
Put the buttermilk, olive oil and egg in a large bowl. Lightly mix together using a balloon whisk.
Stir in the spinach, spring onions and herbs.
Add the two types of cheese and stir until incorporated.
Sift the flour over the bowl and add the salt and pepper. Use a large spoon to lightly combine everything, making sure to scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl as you do.
Divide the batter to fill the muffin tins about 3/4 of the way up. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the muffins are risen and firm. Cool in the tins and then turn them over to release the muffins.