Blood Orange Margarita
Make your own blood orange simple syrup to use in this technicolour blood orange margarita! Keep in the fridge and use in cocktails and drinks or to drizzle over desserts and cakes.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time5 mins
Total Time10 mins
Blood orange syrup
- 150 g | 5.3 oz sugar
- 150 ml | 5 fl oz strained fresh blood orange juice
For the margarita
- 2 measures 50ml | 1.7fl oz blanco tequila
- 2 measures 50ml | 1.7fl oz strained blood orange juice
- 1 tbsp triple sec or Cointreau
- 2 tsbp blood orange simple syrup
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- blood orange slices to garnish
- flaked sea salt to frost the glass
Put the orange juice and sugar in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer and stir until sugar is dissolved. Strain into a sterilised jar and cool before using.
Cut a wedge of blood orange or lime and wipe it around the edge of your glass – either a margarita glass or whatever you prefer. Dip the glass into a plate filled with coarse sea salt and set aside.
Put the tequila, triple sec, blood orange juice, simple syrup and lime juice in a cocktail shaker half filled with ice. Shake hard for 30 seconds.
Strain the cocktail into the prepared glass and add some cracked ice if you like. Garnish with blood orange wedges.