Lighter chicken casserole with crumble topping
This super-creamy chicken casserole with leeks, mushrooms and spinach is the perfect family meal.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time1 hr
Servings: 4 -6 servings
- <b>For the cruble topping</b>
- 100 g | 3 1/2oz rolled oats
- 100 g | 3 1/2oz Lactofree mature cheddar finely grated
- 85 g | 3oz stale bread such as ciabatta cubed
- 2 tbsp Lactofree spreadable melted
- 2 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
- freshly ground pepper
- <b>For the filling</b>
- 1 heaped tbsp Lactofree spreadable to fry with
- 600 g skinless chicken thights
- 2 leeks finely diced
- 200 g | 7oz button mushrooms halved
- 100 g | 3 1/2oz fresh spinach
- splash of chicken stock or white wine to deglaze the pan
- 2 heaped tbsp Lactofree spreadable
- 2 tbsp cornflour cornstarch
- 450 ml | 15fl oz whole or semi-skimmed Lactofree milk
- 70 g | 2 1/4oz Lactofree mature cheddar finely grated plus extra to top
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
- salt and freshly ground pepper to season
Preheat the oven to 180C (350F)
Make the crumble topping. Put all the oats, bread, cheese and parsley in a food processor or blender and pulse until you have breadcrumb consistency.
Add the melted Lactofree spreadable and pulse again. The mixture should be crumbly and stick together when pinched. Season with pepper and set aside.
Chop the chicken thighs into bite-sized cubes and trim of any fat. Melt the Lactofree spreadable in a large casserole or frying pan and then cook the chicken for a few minutes until browned on all sides. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
Add a splash of wine (or stock) to deglaze the pan and scrape and browned chicken bits.
Cook the leeks for 5 minutes then add the mushrooms and cook for another five minutes. Transfer the vegetables to the bowl with the chicken and wipe the pan clean.
Melt the Lactofree spreadable and then add the cornflour, cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly until thickened.
Gradually add the milk, stirring to mix it in. Add the cheddar, lemon juice, mustard powder, and nutmeg and season with salt and pepper.
Stir in the spinach until it starts to wilt and return the chicken and vegetables to the pan. Stir everything together and bring to a simmer.
Transfer to an ovenproof ceramic dish (mine was 23cm/9in) and then sprinkle the crumble over the top to cover.
Place the dish on a baking tray and cook for 25 minutes, or until the crumble is golden and filling is hot and bubbling. If you like, add a sprinkling of cheddar towards the end of cooking time.
Let the dish stand for 10 minutes and serve with buttered peas.