Five spice slow cooker teriyaki ribs
These five spice slow cooker teriyaki ribs are tender, sticky and totally irresistible! Cook in your crockpot and then put under the grill for maximum deliciousness!
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time4 hrs 10 mins
Total Time4 hrs 15 mins
Servings: 4 sevings as a starter
- 1.6 kg | 3 1/2 pounds pork ribs
- 3 tbsp five spice seasoning
- 1 tbsp onion or garlic granules
- salt and freshly ground pepper to season
- 250 ml | 1 cup teriyaki sauce
- 4 tbsp ketchup
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 star anise
- 1 tbsp cornflour cornstarch diluted in the juice of 1 orange
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil optional
- 3 tbsp runny honey
- 1 thinly sliced red chilli to serve
- 1 thinly sliced spring onion scallions to serve
Sprinkle the ribs with the five spice seasoning and onion granules and then season liberally with salt and pepper. Rub the spice and seasonings all over the ribs.
Add the teriyaki sauce, ketchup, garlic, star anise, cornflour slurry, soy sauce, and sesame oil into the bowl of your slow cooker. Mix to combine.
Add the ribs to the slow cooker, submerging them in the sauce as much as possible.
Cook for 4 hours on high.
Preheat the grill to high. Spread the ribs on a sheet pan and spoon over 2-3 ladlefuls of the sauce. Drizzle liberally with honey.
Cook under the hot grill for about 3-4 minutes then use tongs to turn the ribs over and cook for a further 3-4 minutes, or until the ribs are sizzling.
Toss to coat in the reduced sauce, or brush it on with a pastry brush, and serve sprinkled with the sliced chilli and spring onion.