Pancetta-wrapped cod with tomatoes & lentils
This delicious pancetta-wrapped cod with lentils is special enough for a dinner party yet easy enough for a weekday meal.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time45 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- For the lentils
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large leek finely diced
- 2 large carrots peeled and finely diced
- 2 sticks celery finely diced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 300 g | 10 1/2 oz brown or Puy lentils well rinsed
- 600 ml | 2 1/2 cups hot chicken or vegetable stock
- For the cod
- 4 cod loin fillets
- about 20 slices pancetta
- you might need more depending on size of the fish
- 200 g | 7oz cherry tomatoes
- handful fresh basil leaves
- salt and pepper to season
- olive oil to drizzle
- fresh oregano or thyme or basil to garnish
Heat the olive oil in a pot and fry the leek, carrots, celery and garlic over medium-low heat for 5 minutes.
Stir in the lentils and stock and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer, partially cover the pot and cook for about 30-40 minutes for brown lentils and around 20-30 for Puy lentils.
Check the lentils are cooked through and season to taste.
Meanwhile prepare the cod. Preheat the oven to 220C (425F), line a large tray with baking paper and drizzle with a little olive oil.
Pat the cod dry with some kitchen paper then wrap in the pancetta slices.
Place the cod fillets on the prepared tray and scatter the tomatoes and basil leaves around them. Drizzle with a little olive oil and season well with salt and pepper.
Reduce the heat to 200F (400F), place the tray in the middle oven shelf and roast for 20 minutes or until the cod is firm and cooked through and the tomatoes blistered.
Pour any juices from the tomatoes in with the lentils. Divide the lentils and tomatoes between four plates and place the cod over them. Garnish fresh oregano and serve.