I don’t often use shortcuts when cooking. If anything I try to make it harder for myself by taking on complicated multi-step recipes, making my own pastry and so on. But a challenge posed by Argos recently had me thinking… can you make a meal in five minutes? The answer is you can and it will be absolutely delicious but you will need to employ some cunning shortcuts.
I was introduced to frozen herbs, spices and vegetables at a Sainsbury’s event in which the lovely Shelina Permalloo cooked some amazing meals using frozen ingredients. They are really useful in cutting down prep time –and, in the case of frozen chopped onions, tears!
I love having some on standby for when I am really pressed for time but, to be absolutely truthful, half the fun of cooking is in the preparation, in the ritual of chopping and mincing and accidentally rubbing your eyes with chilli fingers (not so much the last one).
But anyway, back to our five minute meal. After a bit of dithering I settled on chilli prawn noodles – a favourite takeaway meal of mine (from our not-so-local Japanese restaurant).
My version is a little simplified but no less delicious and if you are looking for something a little bit spicy, filling and easy you can’t go wrong with this recipe. You can view a video of me preparing it on YouTube (try to ignore the kids making noise in the background. If you ask kids to be quiet they will do the exact opposite…)
Make this meal super-healthy and low carb by replacing the noodles with courgetti (zucchini noodles). Simply stir the courgetti in after the dish has cooked to coat them in the spicy sauce. One large courgette will probably be enough to serve two but you can always add more if you like.
Chilli prawn noodles - ready in 5 minutes!
- 300 g | 10.5oz straight-to-wok egg noodles chilli flavoured if you prefer
- 200 g | 7oz raw king prawns or cooked ones to speed things up further!
- 200 g | 7oz 1/2 can cherry tomatoes in their juice (or use fresh cherry tomatoes, halved)
- 100 g | 3.5oz frozen chopped onions
- 2 tsp frozen chopped garlic
- 1-2 tsp frozen chopped red chillies more, or less to taste
- 1 tsp frozen chopped ginger
- 1 tbsp ketchup or sriracha if you like it spicy
- 1-2 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1-2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Fresh basil preferably Thai basil if you can get hold of some
- Freshly ground pepper
- Optional extras: sliced red and green peppers sugar snap peas, thinly sliced carrot
- Heat a couple of tablespoons of vegetable oil in a wok. Once the oil is hot, add the frozen onion, garlic, chilli and ginger. Fry, stirring continuously, for a minute.
- Add the raw prawns and stir in the ketchup and sugar. Add the soy sauce and cherry tomatoes, stirring them in and breaking them up with your spoon. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Once the prawns are mostly pink add the noodles and stir them in to coat in the sauce. Cook for another minute (or until the prawns are pink).
- Serve with a sprinkling of fresh basil and a little freshly ground pepper.
FOLLOW ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA