This Apple Cinnamon Bread is quick and easy to make, fragrant, moist and delicious! Made simply with applesauce and scented with cinnamon and nutmeg, it will make your house smell amazing. Dust with cinnamon sugar and prepare to fall in love…
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CHECK OUT MY DISCLOSURE
This recipe goes out to my friend who said “I love the look of your banana loaf… but I hate bananas!” Well, this quick cinnamon apple bread is as easy to make and so delicious you will want to have it for breakfast, snack and dessert!
You can keep it plain or add chopped apples, nuts or dried fruit into the batter if you want to jazz it up a bit. I personally like it plain as my kids are still funny about “bits in cakes”.
This cake smells delicious while it bakes, fragrancing your kitchen with the best cinnamon apple scent. Yankee Candles have nothing on this baby! It tastes great still warm from the oven, but even better a couple of days later, if you can wait that long!
This is a quick bread style cake – made with eggs, apple sauce, vegetable oil, flour, baking powder, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. You can use melted butter instead of vegetable oil if you prefer a more buttery crumb.
I used store-bought applesauce (check it is made only with apples and sugar) but you can also use unsweetened apple purée (also marketed as baby food) or spiced apple butter.
This apple loaf is subtly sweet – not overloaded with sugar and that’s how I like it. The cinnamon sugar sprinkled on top adds a nice note of sweetness and crunch!
How to make Apple Cinnamon Bread
Full measurements and instructions can be found on the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page.
This is essentially a blender cake – add all the ingredients to a food processor, blender or even a smoothie maker and give them a good blitz. You might need to scrape the sides of the bowl to make sure the batter is evenly mixed, with no dried pockets of flour.
Pour into a lined loaf tin, bake for 35-40 minutes, until the cake is golden, springy to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes.
Lift the apple cake out of the tin using the overhanging paper. Brush with a little melted butter and dust with cinnamon sugar. Slice and enjoy!
What if I don’t have a food processor?
You can make this cake in a large bowl instead. Put the eggs, vegetable oil, applesauce and sugar in the bowl and mix together using a balloon whisk.
Sift in the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg) and mix until just combined. Pour into the prepared tin and bake.
Storing and freezing
Store your apple bread in a cake tin or airtight container for up to four days. It will keep lovely and moist – such a treat with a cup of coffee!
If you want to freeze it then make sure it is completely cool first. Wrap well in a layer of kitchen paper and two layers of aluminum foil and freeze for up to three months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before serving.
Apple Cinnamon Bread
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) vegetable oil or melted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 200 g (¾ cup) apple sauce
- 150 g (¾ cup) light brown sugar
- 200 g (1 ½ cups + 2 tbsp) plain flour ( all-purpose flour)
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 3 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tbsp melted butter to brush on cake
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180C | 350 F. Line a 2lb loaf tin with baking paper or use a loaf liner.
- Add all the ingredients to your food processor in this order – oil or melted butter, eggs, apple sauce and sugar.
- Top with the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg.
- Pulse until the ingredients combine and then process on high speed until the batter is smooth, using a spatula to scrape down the sides of the processor bowl as needed.
- Pour the batter in the prepared tin, level and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean and cake is springy to the touch.
- Cool in the tin for 10 minutes then lift out using the baking paper.
- Mix the cinnamon and sugar in a bowl. Brush the warm cake with the melted butter and sprinkle with the sugar.